Semolina

For me has always been a thick warming pudding that we used to have as children served with some stewed fruit or a good dollop of home made jam.  Eaten in the winter months it was always a simple warming pudding that our family enjoyed and which used up the stock of season's jam when we most needed it.

The pudding is made by blending the semolina with milk (sometimes a little water as a touch of economy), a little vanilla essence and some sugar.  Boiled up in a pan on the top of the cooker the mixture goes thick but it is a good rib sticker especially for hungry children and adults alike.

Today when you speak of Semolina, it is usually what pasta is made out of or used in home made pasta making.  Sometimes even put into the bottom of a tart casing to stop any liquid flooding the bottom of the tart and giving a soggy bottom.  You cannot have a soggy bottom in a tart!

I am proud to say that I have some on my pantry shelf and every so often we have it for pudding served with stewed fruit or a good dollop of jam most often in the winter months when we need something warm inside us to keep the wolf snapping at the door.

When I typed in Semolina Pudding this is the page of links that came up.  There are all sorts of variations on a theme these days, but at its heart it still remains a very simple pudding for everyone to enjoy.

I remember tea times as a child with my parents and my brother.  The semolina always looked uninspiring until the jam or the fruit went on but we soon polished it off.  Perhaps a taste of yesterday, but I still think it plays a part in being a cheap suitable pudding to put on the family table and to keep everyone fed and warm.

Do you have Semolina for tea?

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts