What a Hooley

Like the rest of the country we have had a rough windy couple of days and at one part I thought the windows were going to blow in.  Fortunately we have not had an issue here but it was kind of getting wild.  It is still rough out there but not as blustery as what it has been.  As a result we have kept to the house  - I have kept the animals in. We have just pottered around the two of us making the most of the day just simply being.  The sun came out at one point which was lovely to see but then retreated rather rapidly.  I have so missed the sun this winter.

We started off with brunch, an old English fry up which went down very nicely but left me stuffed.  OH had intentions though to do a Cottage Pie.  He had intentions and I had the best part of the execution i.e. he does not do gravy or flavourings let alone mash the potatoes.  

Anyways we got there and we have just had a very lovely Cottage Pie for our tea.  OH had a bitter Shandy to wash the meal down and I have had a bottle of Waitrose Pear Cider (I know this as Perry) but that is not how it is marketed.  It was lovely and cold having been in the fridge and it has just washed down our meal very nicely. 

Whilst I was drinking and enjoying the cider, I thought to myself, this is something I really want to have a go at.  At the moment I have access to the veg shop and they frequently have offers on of produce at very good prices it would be a shame not to make use of it.

So today we have had a blessing in that we have enjoyed simple food and drink but we have both thoroughly enjoyed it.

I have come to the conclusion that I need to "forage" in my cookery books a bit more.  My repertoire needs refreshing and mixing up a bit more than it has been.  I have my mum's cookery book and lots of other recipes of my own.  I am therefore going to be carrying out some research and try some new recipes and bring back some old ones as well. 

I think as I love cooking, and preserving this is the ideal place for me to start sorting things out a bit more than they have been and getting a little more organised in the process, as well as being able to enjoy the cooking and the preparation on a day by day basis.  I want to be able to enjoy seasonal food  in season, but I also want to be able to put some up whether that be by freezing, drying, canning, jamming etc. as well.  However, I want it more organised than it is and I am looking forward to having a play.  Now I just need to dig my cookery books out  - the ones I want are always packed well out of the way of where I need them to be.  That is sod's law in this house at the moment.

Tomorrow for tea we have Spaghetti Bolognese.  I am thinking of either doing a pudding or a cake to go along with that.  Just a bit of extra padding.  Might even be an Eve's Pudding with custard.  It is a while since we have had one of these.

I am hoping that the wind will die down soon but hope that every single one of you is kept safe in this turbulent English weather we are experiencing at the moment.

Keep safe.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

My mum bless her heart was for the best part at home and worked for a few years in an actual job or jobs before being signed off on medical grounds which was not what she wished but something that was enforced on her.  Mum was a superb cook and loved cooking too.  We were incredibly spoiled because she was such a good cook.  She also attained her own kind of peace which was prevalent in our family home.  Everything had a rhythm and a purpose.  My Nan was the same.  Where my grandparents lived was so quiet, so perfect and I always referred to it when I was growing up as "Nan's Peace".  I suppose it is that kind of serenity and serendipity I am trying to find.  A rhythm and a sense of purpose that complements who and what I am.  I am shooting for the stars - I know what I am after is there for the finding, but attaining it and finding it are a whole different kettle of fish. 


Comments

Popular Posts