Fresh Yeast, Storing it and Breadmaking

I was taught to bake bread using fresh yeast, but as the years have gone on fresh yeast has become more and more difficult to buy.  I used to be able to buy this at my local bakers or indeed a local supermarket but a lot of them stopped doing this.  As a result, I found this more and more difficult to locate.

However, it is available via Ebay.  Just type in "Fresh Yeast" and it should give you a list of suppliers.  Make sure that you get the cheapest price for the weight though, and do your research of the selection given.  Many of these are regulars so you can place repeat orders. Yes you do have to wait for it to arrive, and you do not have to worry about buying it in bulk.  This will not go to waste as you can keep this, prepped into a set amount once this is received and then packaged for storage in the freezer. You could also keep some of this out and stored in the fridge.  Then when you want to make bread, recover it from said freezer and leave to defrost then make your bread to your chosen recipe.

I am never very happy with my breadmaking attempts for some reason I don't get it quite right.  My hands are not the best when it comes to kneading.  I want to put this right.  Quite fortuitously, this evening a very good basic bread tutorial has popped into my blogging list from Dominic Franks of Belleau Kitchen.  The link is here: Belleau Kitchen - Dominic Franks.

I am going to have another go at the breadmaking using this tutorial either tomorrow or Monday.  I have both bread flour and dried yeast in the pantry.  It is one of the staples I keep to hand, as you just never know.  As Dom quite rightly points out each of us needs to be able (if necessary to set to and have a go at making our own) especially in light of the current concerns with the Coronavirus issue.

However, In reality I want to get into a routine of making my own bread again as I then know what is going into the bread.

I do have a bread machine, and for using this I tend to use the Waitrose Canadian Bread Flour, as I have had the better success with this flour in the bread machine.  I have achieved a far better rise and texture when using this flour to the bread.

I am quite looking forward to tackling this head on with the help of Dom's tutorial as I love bread, especially home made or artisanal.  This is where OH and I tend to differ.  He likes Warburton white sliced as a staple.  I prefer different kinds of sourdough breads, as well as wholemeal, and also lots of different buns.  If I can get to grip with Dom's recipe and technique I shall probably make the bread fresh every day or at least the evening before.  I have a fancy for freshly made buns as we speak especially spread with lots of butter. 

I hope you will give Dom's tutorial a go.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. Patty, but sure if you have one near you, but Morrisons sell fresh yeast that's where I get mine from. Love fluffy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fluffy, thank you for that. I cannot get to our Morrisons very easily but I can get OH to take me. Much appreciated. Keep safe and take care Tricia xx

      Delete
  2. Hi Laurie, I am so sorry about your vision makes me feel very grateful and humble. I am glad that you are still able to enjoy doing some things. The bread maker I bought was a Panasonic, and I always use Canadian Bread/Pasta flour for making my bread. The rise is always so much more superior. I and my partner were brought up with a bit of bread and butter and jam on too. Something I still love. You too take care and keep safe in this uncertain world of ours and lovely to hear from you. Tricia xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts