Siege Mentality

I went to my local Waitrose last evening and I have never been more astounded at the lack of stuff on the shelves.  They were bare.  No veg; limited amount of fruit; no frozen stuff; no meat at all.  Some fish but not necessarily what you would buy. I went for some bread flour - no flour at all - hardly anything.  Tinned stocks had also been depleted.  No milk; no bread.  Even at Christmas when the stores are usually hit mega hard



From there I went to M & S.  Same situation there.



Needless to say I am very fed up and disappointed. No doubt I am not the only one.

When I got home I nipped to the Co-Op round the corner from where I live.  There were people queuing up for the reductions counter here.  As I went by I heard a conversation between some of the people in the queue, bragging about what they had got, that they had had to buy an extra fridge and that was now full and that they were sending other members of their family out after things.  Not everyone can afford to do this and there are people much worse off than me.

I did manage to get a bottle of milk which was a result so I am pleased with that.



Unfortunately this time round I have been caught out with my knickers round my ankles.  With me being out of work, we have been having to plan things to ensure that we have the funds available to do a shop.  We are due to go shopping in about 4 weeks, and it was planned to be a big shop to stock the freezers and the pantry up as it has been run down considerably in the last 18 months.  There is still some stuff there, but not what I normally have.  There are some jams and preserves to be made with some existing stuff which is still in the pantry but that will come and is on the to do list.  I already have everything in for doing these. I am thinking more dried fruits in respect of these which need using up.

Fortunately I have the cat food and the dog food for a week which is something less to worry about.

So it will be an early start tomorrow.  I shall try and get some bread flour again tomorrow.  I will also be paying a visit to the veg shop to get fruit and veg and also some eggs.

I really don't need that much in the greater scheme of things, but one thing I do know.  I am never ever letting OH talk me into running everything down like this again.  I will do it a freezer at a time, or a particular area at a time.  Never full throttle again.  It just does not work for me.

In respect of the Coronavirus,  a fellow blogger has put up a very interesting post on how to deal with this for those of you who are interested.

The blog belongs to Sarah Head and makes good sensible reading.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

P.S.  I shall definitely be looking to sow some seeds this weekend.

Comments

  1. You are best off trying the smaller privately-owned shops Tricia - and they need your support more than ever now. The big supermarkets are supposedly stocking up a couple of times a day so perhaps ask when they are doing so. Some have a Silver Hour too when older people get to shop without having the younger members of society snaffling everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you BB, this is where I predominantly tend to spend my money if I can. I prefer a market if I can, but they have depleted Peterborough market due to some works that are going on next to it and a lot of people have lost their pitches, but are still expected to pay their Leasehold on it whether they are trading or not. Some of the supermarkets are stockpiling stuff and eaking it out so that they can provide something to everyone. Waitrose this morning was like the Marie Celeste without hardly anything on the shelves. It is just ridiculous and so very unnecessary. Hope you are all keeping well and safe. Take care Tricia xx

      Delete
  2. The shops aren't depleted of fruit, veg or meat here, but baking things are quickly being emptied. Did you know that in a pinch plain flour can be used for baking bread it just has a less open"crumb". All the best, stay safe love fluffy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fluffy, yes I did know have tried it in the past, but with my breadmaker which is getting senile, it seems to work best with the bread flour. Have had very disappointing results when I have used other flours. Thank you anyway. Keep safe and take care Tricia xx

      Delete
    2. Fluffy, everything has been going here. No meat, no eggs, no bread, no loo rolls and the tinned goods are all gone too. hope it resolves itself. Think you may be lucky in your area. Peterborough is a relatively poor area with pockets of wealthy people, and there is a lot of unemployment as well. Everyone just seems to have gone made. Take care Tricia x

      Delete
  3. Soda bread is good too if you have plain flour and bicarb. As I'm sure you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi BB, have tried making it in the past and have not been very impressed with the results. It may be the recipe I used. Do you have a good recipe you can share. Take care and keep safe. Tricia xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts