Quiet day and Bread Flour

It has been a wet and cold day here in Peterborough.  The rain has flowed all day gently, giving the earth a good watering which it sorely needed.  I had hoped to do gardening again today but that was not to be.  Instead I have been sorting out stuff, getting it cleaned up and sorted.  I have stripped out four fermenting bins today in readiness for further action on the wine front.  I will also have the ginger beer plant to make up on Friday evening.  The plant has been working beautifully.  I have also made some more plain yogurt as I really use this a lot.

I have also placed an order for bread flour with Shipton Mill as I was getting very frustrated in not being able to source any bread flour.  I think it has been about but I just have not been there when they have had it.  The link for Shipton Mill is https://www.shipton-mill.com/.  They are exceptionally busy and you will need some perseverance and patience in accessing a link to a delivery slot.  You cannot place an order without having access to this link.  Once you can access it, they will email to you a code which you have to click on to gain access to the website and place your order.  This link is only active for 24 hours under the current circumstances. I have been back on the site for the past three days and eventually managed to get a delivery slot this afternoon between 2:00pm and 3:00pm. So stick with it and you will eventually get through. I have ordered Canadian Strong White Bread Flour a 16kg bag together with a 1kg block of fresh yeast.  I intend to freeze the majority of the yeast.  I will probably look again in a few weeks time to have a proper look at what else they do.  Probably some speciality flours might end up here at some point.  This is my first order with them.  Sixteen kilogrammes is a lot of flour but you could always place an order and go halves with someone else to ensure you have a reasonable supply.

I have heard very good reports of the quality of their flour from friends who bake bread on a regular basis.  The recipe section on the website looks good too and I am looking forward to trying some of the recipes.  I am not the greatest baker in the world when it comes to bread but if you have a go and keep practicing it does get better.  If you do not have the base ingredients however that becomes a bit of an issue.  It is a very good discipline to try something new on a regular basis as this makes you grow in practical terms and also gives you knowledge and experience.  I consider myself very lucky in this respect that I have been able to access the flour but that I have had opportunities to do so in the first place.

I am really looking forward to being able to play.  I have some nice large stone crocks that I can store the flour in.

Fingers crossed that the weather is better tomorrow

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

  1. I have used Shipton Mill flour regularly, as well as Wessex Mill (their Oats 'n' Bran flour is our favourite, but probably won't be able to replace that any time soon), and also Bacheldre Mill. All very good. I got my Wessex Mill Granary Flour delivery last week, but note that their website crashed under the weight of orders last week and they can't take any new ones. I should have ordered culinary flour at the same time as my bread flour! Ah well . . . Enjoy your bread making. Home made bread tastes SO much better than "boughten" bread . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BB, I became so frustrated in not being able to locate any bread flour, then I remembered Shipton Mill. I had even looked at Johnson the Butchers when we went there as they normally do some from a local mill but there was absolutely nothing and I have been fast running out of the supplies I did have so I was getting a little anxious. Take care in them there hills and look after yourselves. Tricia xx

      Delete
  2. I have used Shipton Mill flour in the past and whilst quite expensive, it is wonderful quality, I can highly recommend it. I also love using fresh yeast the bread definitely turns out with a different taste. Love fluffy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fluffy hope you and yours are keeping well. I normally take into account expense but I have been getting very frustrated and anxious that I had not been able to locate bread flour or replace the limited supplies I did have. The flour without postage worked out to £15.50 for the 16kg bag and the 1kg of yeast £8, then postage because of weight £6 so not too bad overall and at least if I have the materials can set too and provide bread for the table. I am looking forward to receiving the flour have heard several good reviews about it. To test it out will make some of my mum's milk buns which she used to make for Sunday night tea to start with. Take care Tricia xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts