The Fermentation Shelf

Is back in production.  I have started off starters for Sough Dough, have natural live yogurt on the go (plain yogurt that you can add your own fruit, jam or sauce to), have an Easy Yo flavoured yogurt from a sachet on the go (Rhubarb) as I have plans to use some of my home grown Rhubarb from the garden stewed and then served with the accompanying yogurt. That should make a nice simple pudding to finish off tomorrow night's tea. I also have wine on the go, have located a beer kit which will be prepared later on in the week.  It seems to have come from Wilkinsons although I cannot remember buying it.  Last night I also started off a ginger beer plant to make home made ginger beer.  The recipe is more or less as my Nan and Mum used to make - I just have a notated list and therefore thought it would be easier for everyone if I gave a link.  The link is here:

Ginger Beer Plant 1920s recipe

I am also after locating water and milk kefir grains, Kombucha Scoby and an older sourdough starter as well. That may well have to wait for a while though, unless I spot some on Ebay that would be useful.

All natural processes without anything being done to them apart from a little TLC and a feed in respect of the Sourdough and Ginger Beer Plant.  Much better for the digestion and your health in the long run as so many of them are probiotic and so good for your system. 

Perhaps the current crisis does for some of us have practical benefits in that it is making us all think differently about our lifestyles, and what are our real priorities.  I have always been considered an oddity because I preserve so much and normally keep a well stocked pantry.  I am hopeful that the current situation will bring back an interest in these traditional skills.  

If I can get hold of some cheap apples I may also start off a batch of Apple Pop as well. I used to babysit a couple of sisters under the age of eight on a regular basis and indeed Susan and Claire were two of my bridesmaids when I married my first husband.  They were lovely girls and I was very fond of them.  Their mother and father were from Somerset and this was a drink that Janet used to make on a regular basis.  Janet gave me the recipe and it is a lovely drink to have especially on a hot summer's day especially if it has been chilled first.  The drink is more or less the same colour as home made ginger beer but a totally different flavour and well worth the making.

I am also interested in Water Kefir and Milk Kefir grains for making drinks and for using in yogurts and cheese (Milk).  We are very fond of Pepsi in this household but it is something that we could well do without and so I am ready to explore the Kefir aspects a little more and perhaps more cheaply at home.


Two of the things I have not been able to locate easily are yeast and proper Bread flour during the current situation.  I mentioned the other day that I had managed to find a packet (of yeast (8 sachets) some four weeks after issues started arising) and so for me having the sourdough starter(s) on the go would be insurance for making sure that we had bread on the table or at least the option of bread if it was needed.



Yogurt is something that I make regularly in any event and as long as I can get hold of milk and some natural yogurt for a starter I can carry on making that.  Alternatively there are the Easy yo sachets which although a little expensive are very good.

Recently I have also come across a dry Sourdough Starter which I think many of you may find interesting.  It is from a blog I follow called Elliot Homestead.  The link is here: Dry Sourdough Starter  Although I have not tried this starter yet, it is on the list, but I thought that I would share with you as I had come across it.

If I can make a lot of the products myself long term it will for me mean less reliance on the supermarkets for finished products and will be able to just buy ingredients which is something I try and do in any event.  I am also hoping that this reflects more favourably on my pocket as well.  I can but try.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

Popular Posts