Using your fridge to plan ahead with meals

I need to get more organised on the food front.  I cook most days but I think I can be better organised than I have been.  I am looking to rescue more time so that I can do more preserving or indeed crafting and sewing.



I had thought to make up a couple of good meals and store them in the fridge and so in effect batch cook every third day.  I will however need to locate some of my very large kilner jars and also some of my storage containers and some of my pyrex ware to do this. 


I had thought to keep a couple of jars of ready freshly prepared soup in the fridge so that if OH and I are ships in the night that there is something decent in the fridge for him to snaffle and warm up.  He is not so fond of soup although will eat it.  I however am quite content with some nice bread and a bowl of good soup which I always find very filling.  I have since found my jars and there is fresh mixed veg soup and chicken soup sitting in the fridge ready to go.

I had also thought to keep a batch of plain batter mix in one of the Kilner jars so that I could make up pancakes for dessert or indeed Scotch pancakes for a snack or indeed Yorkshire puddings.  I quite like pancakes for breakfast occasionally and if I am doing a two to three day turnaround nothing will go to waste.  Making the mix like this also saves on washing up, as I will only have to drag a bowl, whisk and scales out once rather than every time by making up a bulk mix and keeping it in the fridge.


I had also thought to put up some Caramel custards and also jelly and chocolate mousse to provide quick puddings also.

I have also seen some small individual dishes which are in the £ shop which would be very ideal for preparing something like this for both the fridge and the freezer.  Hopefully they will still be there after Lockdown is over.

I also have a gammon to cook up for use in a meal with chips, or with some mustard in sandwiches. I quite usually buy in a couple of ham hocks for this purpose but the bonus is that you get plenty of stock from this as well which can also be frozen and used in gravies and soups which always add much more flavour.

Another favourite here is Cottage Pie.  The other day I made up one from frying onions until caramelised, then adding the mince a little at a time, then chopped fresh carrot and frozen peas, a couple of bay leaves a beef stock pot and a chicken one, pepper and a little water to make a little gravy and some Bouillon vegetable powder for a little extra flavour.  I topped this with plain mashed potato and this time did not put any cheese on the top (I did not have any cheddar in) so opted to leave it plain.  It kept in the fridge for a couple of days and was a quick meal all in itself.  It went down well.

I also have some Easy Yo Yogurt Sachets which need using up.  The sachets are very good but expensive, but are okay for a treat now and then. I have decided to mix up a Strawberry one (the Rhubarb one has now gone), which in turn we can have with some tinned Strawberries or with a Strawberry jelly for pudding.  Just a little something to finish a meal off.

It is therefore very handy to have stuff ready to go in the fridge, ready prepared by you.  At least this way round there are no nasties or additions you do not want added to the food.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts