A little Shopping

We needed something for tea this evening and I could not settle on anything to cook.  I also had run out of  a few items from the pantry shelf and needed to replenish them.

It started off grey and chilly here but the sun came out and the best part of the day has been bright but very blustery.  I walked to Waitrose with my trolley (there goes my street cred not that I had any in the first place) and was quite surprised at the strength of the wind as it nearly had me over a couple of times.  I am glad my new greenhouses have not been put up because of it, but am hoping to get them put up and in situ shortly as my tomato seeds have gone bonkers.

On arriving, I and others naturally had to queue, but they had parked the plant racks alongside where you have to queue.  I ended up putting two tomato plants in, two Rosemary bushes, and two reduced Dianthus (Pinks) and then started having trouble with my trolley it would not budge.  With the assistance of a very helpful member of staff, who procured another trolley for me, I hung my trolley on the hook under the shop trolley handle.  Mine fits here just nicely.  I then transferred all my plants and then got into the main part of the shop.

I did not need much, but ended up with a trolley full all the same.  I decided to go for a free for all cold platter with different cheeses, some ham, goat cheese, Rilletes, Brussels Pate and Pate de Camargue, some oven roasted tomatoes with garlic, some salad leaves and a Grand Pain loaf/stick. We already had olives, pickled onions etc at home, but I did pick up a Fig Relish and an Onion and Garlic chutney to try.

Then I got to the herb counter.  I needed French Tarragon for turning into vinegar but also for a little experiment. This is the subject of a post yet to come.

I love fresh herbs and use them extensively, and I preserve them for winter use as I go along whether this by drying, freezing etc.

I also ended up buying some Oregano and some Lemon Thyme which I absolutely love on glazed carrots.

Then I started adding herb pots to the trolley.  For the past five or six years this is where I have been buying my herbs for the herb garden i.e. mint, chives, basil, parsley as they are cheaper than some of the garden centres.  This is really just on the basic herbs.  Today I ended up getting three thyme, and three chives.  Next time it will be the basils that I add to the trolley the ordinary Italian style and the Greek which is more fragrant.

I also bought some Strawberries and fresh single cream for pudding.  So we are in for a simple but tasty tea this evening.

I now have a lot of planting to do but no compost.  We have tried to buy online but where I normally get it from does not have any stock.  We tried another couple of shops as well but there seems to have been a run on compost.  We tried another shop which according to its website was open but when we got there they were closed. 

I am hoping that my original shop will have some in soon.  Fingers crossed.

Phone has still not arrived and my IT techy has put off until Monday. (we are delivering to him).

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. Compost is in the same category as polytunnels, Scarlet Emperor runner bean seeds, yeast, flour and loo rolls . . .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts