General Catch Up and Getting the Garden sorted

Be warned this is a long post as it covers several days as I have been a little busy and I have had to change my focus and routines as OH working from home still. I have also been having techy problems with the computer and my phone which is not helping at all and in particular with sending emails.

It was my birthday last Sunday and in line with all the current restrictions we stayed at home and had a lazy day.  I am normally taken out for a meal and as this could not feasibly happen this time round I cooked my own meal.  I had managed to find a part boned leg of lamb joint which had been reduced from £25 to £17.50 in Waitrose.  I served this with new potatoes, petit-pois, asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli and carrot crush and plenty of gravy.  I did stud the joint with garlic.  We then had Strawberries and cream followed by a fresh cream sponge for my birthday cake.  It went down very well and we had a duplicate meal on Monday evening as well.  There is still a lot of meat left which is in the fridge for later in the week. That joint was therefore a real bargain and so tender.

On Monday, my bread flour arrived from Shipton Mill together with the yeast. I was so pleased with the service from Shipton Mill, despite all the current issues delivery was extremely rapid.  However, I am slightly disgruntled with Parcelforce but that is another story. The yeast is currently in the fridge and is going to be weighed out into small usable blocks and then frozen.  The flour is going to be decanted into a large white food quality bucket for storage in the pantry and I am hoping to get started with the bread making in the next day or two.

As part of my birthday present OH had bought me two small walk-in greenhouses so that I have somewhere to bring on my Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Gherkins, and Melons.  I am still waiting for the greenhouses to arrive.   This is what they look like.  I now need to put some slabs down on which to site them.



(updated - after accepting the order, Wilkos have subsequently cancelled the order as they are unable to supply - terribly disappointed about this) so will now have to look elsewhere.

I have now ordered two other greenhouses from Argos.  Could not locate where I wanted from but the growing space will be greatly appreciated.  This is the one I have now gone for x 2



I do already have a proper glass greenhouse in the garden but it is not usable at present and needs a good clear out as does the jungle at the bottom of the garden.  I am hoping to reclaim the greenhouse a little later on so that I can get it back to full use so that I am ready to go next year from the off. In the interim though I need to grow veggies and this was the best way of dealing with things and really is a win-win situation. The overall intention is that together with the greenhouse reclaimed together with the new houses I will have extra growing space to go with my four mini-houses.  Each year I seem to bring on things a bit better and do a little more.  I really find gardening cathartic and I hate it when the weather is not good as I cannot get out in the fresh air.

The jungle past the greenhouse down the bottom of the garden needs clearing of the old wooden fence some of which I would like to use to provide some raised beds and also the shelves for the window boxes.  I would also like to create a fruit and cut flower garden as well but that is a way off.

I have bought some Dahlia Tubers for some of my pots as well and have plans to get a few more so hopefully I will get a few home-grown flowers this year which will be lovely.  My Nan always had a proper cut flower garden and kept her house full of flowers for the best part of the year and she used to provide flowers for the local Church as she was one of the flower arrangers at St Clements.

I had already bought four extra rhubarb plants which have been potted up; two Canadian Red and two Red Raspberry to go with two rhubarb plants I already had (unfortunately do not know what variety these are as I have lost the labels although suspect it may be Victoria).  At the weekend I purchased two more, the variety is Victoria again and I also found some seeds in my stash; you are correct Victoria again and another variety Paragon.

All the plants I potted up recently are doing really well and have put on a good growth spurt.  They include three blackberry bushes, three clematis, a Hollyhock, three honeysuckle, one rosemary, a rosebush, curled parsley, flat leaved parsley, chives. garden mint (in three herb troughs) I have another four troughs to fill for which I have some more flat leaved parsley, common garden mint, chives, thyme.  I have also found three pots of self-set comfrey.  I intend to put some more herb troughs around the other side of the shed as well.  This is more sheltered so will choose a different set of herbs for these troughs.  

I had also thought of putting some spaced out slabs down this side of the shed and then grow creeping chamomile and penny royal also known as Corsican mint to fill in the soil areas in between. Need to locate both types of plant before can do this.  In the corner before this walk through I have my small two seater table and chairs.  Some of my clematis and my honeysuckle are to go in along the fence and maybe I will source a rambling rose as well and along the bathroom wall here to pretty things up a bit. It makes a nice private cosy nook for eating breakfast in.  

The Wild Strawberries have increased in size and are starting to really cover what was the herb garden. They have thrown up quite a few flowers so hopefully some little tiny fruits. The Black spearmint has also gone a little crazy.  I plan tomorrow morning (Friday) if the weather is up to it to have my breakfast outside with a fresh pot of mint tea picked straight from the garden.  I have a glass teapot with a central infuser which is designed especially for herbs.  Mint is so soothing though.  I intend to dry a load for the winter months as well.

Next to be potted up are six Strawberry plants which are going into some hanging baskets.  They seem to do well in the hanging baskets in my garden.  We have an electrical cable from the house into the shed which carries the supply for the freezers and wine chillers which is housed in a thick piping which is ideal to hang two of my Strawberry baskets from.  They did really well here last year.  The rest will be hung off the fencing up the garden on both sides.

At the weekend I also managed to find two large Sage plants which had been reduced which are going to be planted in the Herb garden.  In the past Sage has done really well here, but I also need to get hold of some variegated golden Sage and some Purple Sage as well.  Sage is something that I use a lot of in cooking and it is lovely to dry your own home-grown throughout the year and then "rub" it down and store it in the pantry for use throughout the year.  I predominantly use it to make my own stuffing or with squash and pasta and soup and Beef Olives.

I also want to introduce to the garden edible flowers. A lot of the flowers I am interested in also make very good companion plants to the vegetable garden. I already have the violets but am continuing to increase the stock.  I plan on having lots of courgettes both yellow and green in the garden as well as you can always stuff the courgette flowers dip them in tempura batter and then fry.  So two for one really.  The yellow courgettes are delicious eaten raw as well in salads.  

Borage can be used in a Pimms and the flowers in ice cubes as well as in salads or to decorate the top of soups, drinks, puddings.  They have a slight cucumber flavour.  There are three different flavours of Pimms in my drink's cupboard at the moment.  I like a drop of Pimms especially on a hot summer's day.  Proper English Summer celebration.

I would also like plenty of chive plants as they put up a lovely flower which makes a very good vinegar. They can be frozen in ice cube trays for use in the winter months and go very well with cream cheeses and eggs and are useful as a salad garnish.  They also help curbing carrot root fly.

Nasturtiums are always present in my garden every year. They are so cheerful. They make a good vinegar and salad dressing, the flowers can be eaten as part of a salad and the berries can be made into a poor man's caper apparently although I have not yet tried this.  I have used the flowers but not the berries yet.  I have them predominatly in hanging baskets, window boxes and tubs.

Marigolds are good for the bees but can also be used as poor man's saffron for colouring rice, colouring home made cheeses and used in almond oil.  Makes a very gentle massage oil by infusing the dried petals into a gentle oil.  normally I use Almond oil, but I am not allergic to nuts.  The flowers can also be dried and used from dried.  The dried petals can also be used in homemade toiletry items and pot-pourri and for dressing the outside of a home made soft cheese such as goats cheese.  Some of these plants are therefore going to be incorporated into my garden planting as well.  

I am also after some Gilliflowers (usually the clove pink carnation but can be other variety of plants including wallflowers).  I am also after some Cornflowers as they are edible too.  

You can buy dried flower petals for culinary use on line but the price is extortionate.  I would therefore like to create my own stock but need to get plants into the garden to provide this.  I do however intend to buy some carnations and other flowers every week and dry them myself.  These will be predominantly used in home made toiletries and pot-pourri.  For food use I will use the flowers from my garden (which will take another year or so) however there are wild Hawthorn Blossom (May Blossom), wild rose petals and elderflower that can be dried for this purpose.

I have also planted seeds and they are in one of the mini greenhouses they include in no particular order:

Tomatoes - Marmande, Roma and Gardeners Delight. 
Cucumber - Marketmore and Venlo Gherkins
Melba Melons
Pattypan Summer Squash
Butternut Squash
Greenbush Long Marrow
Jack O Lantern Pumpkin
Marigolds
Nasturtiums
Old Spice Sweetpeas
Borage (Blue)
Lemon Balm
Thyme
Florence Fennel
Chives
Garlic Chives
Purple Basil
Basil
Sunflowers
Cayenne Pepper
Yellow Round "Ball" style Courgettes
Summer Savory
Green Courgettes
Yellow Courgettes
Aubergine
Red Basil
Oregano
More Roma tomatoes
Asparagus from seed have 25 seeds on go
Rhubarb 
More Nasturtiums
Chervil
Thai Basil
Chives
Scarlet Emperor Runner Beans
Lobelia Cascade mixed
Lobelia Crystal Palace
Gypsophilia
Brachycome


So not too bad a start but still plenty to go.  I ran out of cloche covers!

I am keen on getting a couple of rambling roses and a couple of other roses.  They must all have a lovely scent and colour though. I would love to have a proper dedicated rose garden but that is not going to happen here as there is no room.

I would also one day like a couple of Poly Tunnels, but yet again that will not happen here due to lack of space and you can only afford what you can afford at the end of the day, but every little helps.

I am a bit of a dreamboat at the best of times, but part of the dreaming process is making do in the real world and doing what you can with whatever is afforded to you.  It does not mean that it is never going to happen and it keeps me motivated when times are tough.  In the words of my dear father "One day".  Using these words instead of "No or Never" keeps hope alive and we all need a little hope in this day and age, positivity is better than negativity at the end of the day and even if you do hurt, sometimes its best not to show it; these are your own private dragons which are to be conquered.  It is like playing a computer game where there are all sorts of tasks to accomplish before getting to your goal.  Its just sometimes it takes longer than anticipated.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts