Rhubarb and Custard (or Sweet and Sour)

I have been trawling the Internet looking for new and different recipes on how to use Rhubarb as I fancied a change from Rhubarb crumble all the time which is OH's favourite.  I have found a slightly different pudding recipe which I am going to try out on OH.  The link is here Rhubarb and Custard Self-Saucing Pudding and is on the blog of Tales of a Kitchen Shed.  I think he is going to love this. 

For weeks and weeks I don't see anything that takes my fancy on the pudding front and then I see three in one day.  The next recipe is from Waitrose by Martha Collison and is for Rhubarb Pavlova and then a really simple recipe for Rhubarb and Ginger Panacotta recipe here Rhubarb and Ginger Panacotta.

Also on the agenda is Rhubarb Cordial, Rhubarb Gin and Vodka I intend to freeze some now that the freezer is up and running.  Some of the Rhubarb will come from my garden and the rest from the shop.  I also intend to bottle some up in syrup for puddings in the winter months it is lovely served with Rice pudding and also Semolina pudding. The syrup can also be used as a "cordial" and mixed with lemonade or water (I prefer sparkling water). This is an ideal way to use up the syrup especially if you have drained the fruit off the syrup to make a Rhubarb Tart. Canned/Bottled Rhubarb can also be served as is with ice cream or cream.  By preserving it yourself you are therefore providing yourself with lots of options along the way.  That to me is a win-win situation.  One thing I will do though after processing the Rhubarb in syrup, and once all the jars are clean and dry on the outside, is to cover them with brown paper.  Apparently, this is something that the Victorians used to do when making these kinds of preserve and especially if the Rhubarb was forced.  This keeps the light out and prevents delicately coloured foods losing their colour and looking insipid and unappetising.  Another reason why a lot of preserves are stored in a dark place with no natural light such as a pantry.

OH is also very fond of Rhubarb Gin, and as I have a bottle of both Gin and Vodka in house at the moment I am making a bottle of each.  It all adds to the Pantry stock and the choice of ingredients come Christmas!

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. I found a recipe for a fabulous Rhubarb and Custard Cake last year. Must try and find it again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts