Today and tomorrow

I have had a lovely day pottering in the garden and  just simply being. It was lovely and quiet with just birdsong in the background as I worked until someone put on their stereo full blast because they wanted a disco never mind that the neighbours did not!

It has been hot here with a bit of a breeze but I have absolutely loved being out in the fresh air pottering here and there, sorting things as I come across them. Totally Absorbed with the tasks in hand and potting up Borage, Marigolds, more Tomato plants, Gherkins.  I have been a little over-generous with the seed but it will not go to waste as I have friends who I am sure will be happy to scoop up some of the surplus.  I think part of the learning process for me with the gardening is going to rest on quantities, I tend to be heavy handed with portions on all kinds of things.  Next year though will be different.  That is the learning curve and for me where the main lessons are to be learned.  I still have more potting up to do but if you sow seeds that naturally comes with the territory.

Marrows will need potting up as will Pumpkins.  I quite fancy growing a pumpkin arch and also having some in planters.  I am still keeping my fingers crossed on the Courgettes though as today I have found two cucumber and a Butternut Squash plants which have come through.  Fingers crossed for the rest I am hoping that it is just a case of them being late on parade.  I have planted yellow ad green but my favourites are the yellow ones.

I have potted up the Broad Beans, and taken out of the growing houses today together with all of my peas as they are now a decent size and ready to be planted.  However I am not quite ready in the garden for them yet.

Somewhere I also have three dahlias to pot up which is to form a mini cutting garden for this year in any event.

Tomorrow I plan on starting to clear the area where I need the greenhouses and then get OH to assist with putting them up so that I can transfer all the tomatoes, gherkins, melons and cucumbers to them thus freeing up more space for more seeds.  So most of the work tomorrow will be hard graft starting to clear the greenhouse area and also the area which will be my long term Rhubarb and Asparagus and hopefully some Strawberry beds.  This is going to take a bit of clearing as there is a lot of Ivy here, some of which is to be transplanted into pots and also hanging baskets and window boxes.  It will be tough going and will take a few days to accomplish, but I am determined to get it cleared.  There are also a lot of self-set brambles which will need removing as well.  I have therefore invested in a pair of heavy duty gloves to protect my hands from the thorns a little.  I am starting down the bottom of the garden and then working my way towards the house.

As I have mentioned before OH is currently working from home, but today had to go into the office to collect a new computer.  As it was extremely hot outside he decided to leave Missy in the house where it was nice and cool and he had a fan on for her.  Missy when she realised she was on her own started howling the house down, real full on howling and so in the name of keeping the neighbourhood peace, I ended up fetching her and having her with me in the garden.  She was hot, I made her sit in the shade where I was working and gave her a drink at which point she settled.  When OH returned though she beat a hasty retreat and he ended up walking her.  I did not go with him as I was too hot and half way through pricking out the plants.  We have a rather spoiled Jack Russell who hates being on her own.

I have managed to find five old winemaking buckets which I intend to turn into potato barrels.  I also have five  compost bags as well into which potatoes are going.  They are maincrop.  

Once the greenhouses are up I can then start doing some of my hanging baskets and window boxes. I also want to transplant my large honeysuckle and my rambling rose if I get chance.  I will then get the growing bags not just for the greenhouses but outside also.

I am hoping for an early start tomorrow.  I am waiting for a parcel to be delivered which should arrive between 7:00am and 1:00pm.  Fingers crossed that I will be able to start in the garden whilst it is a little cooler as I think that there will be a lot of tugging, huffing and puffing!

The Rosemary bushes were also planted up today into large pots and tomorrow I am hoping to get the two pink plants I bought and add them somewhere in what is referred to as the herb garden although the majority of my herbs are now situated in planters along the side of the shed.

The garden is very much a WIP (Work in Progress) and is still very untidy, but very slowly things are starting to sort out a little more than they had been.  I am very pleased with what I have accomplished on the plant front from rescuing plants from the garden and bringing them on, to growing seeds and now seeing sturdy full on plants ready for planting has been very pleasing - a learning curve, but very pleasing all the same. I am going to have to re-sow the Spinach though - some has come through but not enough.  You live and learn.  I have some glass that I can pop on the planters this time round which will hopefully stop the pigeons.

I am loving being outside and more often than not it is gone 9pm before I come in after watering up as I have no realisation of the time.  

Right better get going as have to get ready for tomorrow.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

X

Comments

Popular Posts