Bulbs and Seeds

I am busy at the moment collecting a few bulbs together in order that I can in the first time for many years have some spring planters to cheer up the outside of the house.  I need cheerfulness around me - something that smacks of bringing in the new, new hope, new promise; it all speaks of positivity, and the dawning of a new day, new year, (and hopefully better year for all of us) new time period but most of all flowers for me promote cheerfulness and if the plants are scented all the more wonderful. 

On a grey day, flowers are always vibrant and uplift you. This is something I can do for myself.  With these uncertain times upon us and this pesky, nasty pandemic we can take nothing for granted and so I am where I can putting stuff up so that I can grow some seeds and some flowers.  I had mentioned earlier in the year that I wanted to start a small cutting garden, so seeds, bulbs and plants fit very nicely into this plan.

The bulbs are at the moment, ironically squirrelled away in the pantry where they can come to no harm, whilst I collect a few more and then I will have a massive planting session.  Planting something for tomorrow.  

So far I have managed to gather together Narcissi, Daffodils, Crocus, Anemone, Iris, two different types of Tulips and Snowdrops. I intend to add a few more bulbs to the list yet, plants and seeds for containers for next year.  I want to be prepared and to start earlier next year with the growing of plants from seeds.  This should be doable with the new greenhouses.

One of the things I would like to help with this is a heated propogator or two.  That may have to go on the Christmas Wish List.

I do however have a new spade and fork.  Now to add a few more tools such as a rake and a hoe.

I will also be on the look out for some more fruit trees such as plums.  Will have to see what we can find.

In the next few weeks or two we are going to be concentrating on getting jobs done around the house.  Decorating is high on the list of to dos as well as getting rid of more rubbish, sorting out the garden and sorting out the shed.   So am going to have my work cut out to say the least.  I shall be ready for my holiday.  

I also have a lot of preserving to do inbetween everything else. Tiz just the depth that varies - yet again and despite all the hard work it is something that I enjoy.

As the weather has been abysmal (it has been here like everywhere else a very stormy  night with hardly any let up from the rain), I have decided that comfort food is very much the order of the day.  We are therefore having  a beef, carrot and onion stew to be served with mashed potatoes and lots of gravy for tonight's tea.  No pudding just plums and greengages to nibble at - proper seasonal eating (although I think the stew is a little earlier than normal) but good eating all the same.

I also have some reduced Strawberries to do something with (even if they end up in the freezer first) have to take advantage of bargains where you can.

Right off to the dining room it is for me again.  A lot of sorting going on - whilst I cannot get out into the shed to sort that out.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. I bought a couple of packs of bulbs yesterday for an old iron pig trough we have down by mum's. Dwarf Irises and some pretty yellow ones whose name I've already forgotten (as I haven't grown them before). ENjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some dwarf Irises too. They are so pretty. I have a needlework panel with lots of Irises on it in the to do pile. I just love the colours. I haven't had bulbs for years but I was determined especially after this year that it was going to be prettier in the garden next year. I bet your Irises will look lovely down by Mum's flat especially interspersed with yellow. Take care sweetie x

      Delete
  2. This storm on top of our recent wet weather has inspired me to plan some "warming comfort meals". Lamb and veg oggy tonight and thick chicken soup with dumplings tomorrow. The stock pot has been bubbling away most of the day. Bone broth ready to go into the freezer. Bulbs are perfect for lifting the spirits from the moment they push their green spikes through the soil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, I think we are having an early autumn this year. Your comfort meals sound lovely. The oggy I take it is a pasty? Our stew went down very nicely. Should have done two x two meals but OH demolished the rest and went back for seconds. If you invest in a canner you can store the bone broth on the Pantry shelf. I agree that flowers do lift the spirits. I have violets from my mum, and grandparent's garden (originally from the garden of my great grandmother) so I am hoping it will pretty up the back of the house just a little bit. Take care x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts