Doing up the Pantry


I am predominantly talking about my main pantry off of the kitchen which is more of a dry pantry/larder.  Although I have plans to sort out my second pantry area under the stairs in the same way.  This tends to predominantly be my Preserves pantry.

I have had for some time all the bits and bobs required for doing up the pantry and I am hopeful that when I get back from our second holiday I will get things sorted out and the actual work completed.  First I had to empty the pantry itself which took quite some doing. I managed to do that before going on our first holiday.  One of the shelves needs putting up as it fell off the wall fortunately not too much was on that particular shelf at the time.  I have some laminate flooring left and I am hoping that there will be enough to sort out the pantry floor and to make it cleaner to manage. OH has agreed to do this one particular little bit for me.  I do have vinyl covering to do the large deep shelves with in green and white and some lace trim to go along the front of the shelves.  I also intend to make a skirt for the bottom opening to hide all sorts of bits and bobs away.  The wooden side shelves are to be painted white to match.  The pantry itself will be painted out in white.  I also need an enclosed glass ceiling shade to tidy the ceiling up.

One wall of the side shelves holds my large Roses sweetie jars which I have recycled for bulk storage of pasta, rice, flour, tea bags, coffee pods etc.  I keep adding the jars as I can afford and/or find them.  I am finding them, incredibly useful for realistic storage for us both.  They are also ideal for making your own Rumptopf and Sloe Gin and a party sized bottle of pickled shallots, eggs and pickled onions and at Christmas you can even turn them into large candle holders.

I also buy when I can locate them ground glass storage pots in different sizes as well.  Quite a lot of them are on one of my kitchen dressers.  I also re-cyle the Douwe Egberts coffee jars as well.  So all items given a new lease of life.

None of my jars really have labels on and I am considering buying some reusable chalkboard labels to name the jars up but also to give some uniformity and perhaps a bit more of a classical but modern finish. I am currently looking at these.



I have also seen these Curver boxes in three different sizes at Dunhelm that I quite like.  I just love the colour which is the right shade of green.

First up is the 11L size
.Second up is the 17L size.
Last but not least the 4.5L size (above).  These I think will be very useful.

I also have some five gallon buckets for sugar and bread flour which will be hidden away behind a fabric skirt.

I also have a collection of stoneware and terracotta pots.  All quite rustic and old which I have picked up for next to nothing from flea markets, car boots and charity shops.  However making a start and getting to grips with it is a priority.  I have some boxes of new food stores to get into the Pantry the sooner the better as I want to use the tubs for packing other stuff up in.

Will show photographs once this one is finished.  I will do the same for the understairs pantry as well once that is sorted also.  I also have to sort out the fireside cupboard in the dining room as well.

However, this time around am determined to get this done.  Primarily as I do need to stock up generally.  I have added a few bits but not as much as I usually hold.  Once stocked up in the freezers, fridges, pantry, jam and bottled/can store I rarely have to go shopping apart from a bit of fresh seasonal veg.

So quietly, in tranches behind the scenes, I am inching along a little at a time, but it is still very much a WIP (Work in Progress).  It will be lovely to get this done and dusted.  

Catch you soon.  

Pattypan 

x

Comments

Popular Posts