Sorting out the Dining Room

I am in the throes of cleaning out the dining room and I am finding all sorts of things I had forgotten I had in there including my big box of Hex Bottles.  They will have to go into the shed which is also destined for a clear out as there is a lot of preserving stuff in the house that really needs to go back into the shed.  It therefore looks as though will have to down tools and get the shed sorted and cleaned out first, in order to get things sorted in the dining room although I still have the two defunct fridges in there.  Local Recycling Centre are still not doing collections.

I have nearly 20 demijohns that need to go in the shed somewhere along the line.  Fortunately I do have some deep plastic tubs which they can be stored in on their sides. However I cannot get them in there until the shed is sorted. I also found one of my jelly stands in the dining room and there is another one somewhere together with my older wire ones which I am still keeping.  They do need a bit of TLC so I may well spray paint these with some Plastikote paint to freshen them up.  Jelly bags and frames can also be used in cheese making.  

Broom handles strung between units also make good support poles for jelly nets and cheese and hanging muslin.  No doubt there will be more preserving equipment found as I go along.  I know that there is a lot under the stairs as that is currently the Preserves Pantry.  It needs doing up as well.

However, I am primarily concentrating on the dining room for all intents and purposes.  Once the dining room is done tiz the Kitchen's turn.  It is slow going as usual, partly due to the weather.  I need it to be fine so I can chuck stuff outside to sort it out. Last night I managed to get some of my plastic storage crates emptied out.  They are now in hot water with copious amounts of bleach in them to clean them.  I have left them soaking outside and will finish the cleaning off and the drying off tomorrow.  I had forgotten about these tubs but they will come in useful as I have a load of Christmas decorations to pop into them, which in turn will create more space in the house ultimately as there will be far less boxes.  Must keep at it.

Catch you shortly.


Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. Most people that I know are turning cupboards our and moving things around. I know that you have a pressure canner and i need some new preserving jar lids. I was weondering where you get your from as they are so pricey. I am on the verge of trying the US and getting a pressure canner as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam. hope you are keeping safe and well. I bought a Presto off of Ebay. There are usually regular offers on, but you have to watch that the dollar is not high against the pound sterling, plus import and postage duties. I have the 23 quart model and looking quickly at ebay before writing this, this does not look too bad a buy. Eminently a lot cheaper than some of the others on there. As I say it was a quick look on my part. Link is here : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Presto-Pressure-Canner-Cooker-23-quart-Manual/254700561414?hash=item3b4d562406:g:ZksAAOSwXzBfRo7l. I hope this helps. There are all sorts of people post tutorials on You Tube and there are two Vlogs I follow. An English Country Life and Landfall Larder in this country for recipes/tutorials and of course there are the Kilner, Ball and other producers websites that have some information on. I hope this helps. Take care Tricia x

      Delete
  2. P.S. Pam, I buy the seals where I can. I have a lot of old original Dual Purpose Kilner jars and I use the Liefheit seals for these; yet again via ebay. I also look out at places like The Range, Dunhelm, John Lewis, Lakeland for the seals. For the new modern Kilner jar seals and the Mason Ball jars on standard jars the seals are interchangeable. There are also wide mouthed jar seals available so make sure that you obtain the correct one. There are some offers on ebay at the momen as well. Take care Tricia x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts