Things Going on in the Kitchen

I managed to find reduced tomatoes during the week.  They are now being processed in the Dehydrator to make tomato powder well for this batch at least which can be added into stews, breads etc to give more flavour.

I also have two lots of eggs = 24 eggs which I have whipped up and popped into the freezer in fours (6 x pots).  I intend to add to this as a store for future baking and in particular, Christmas baking.  Building it up bit by bit, means that I will have eggs available to me for use (a lesson learned from these unusual times).  We have also picked up a tray of small eggs today a couple of which will be used with my smoked haddock which I am having for tea.  The rest will be day to day use.  By the end of the week if there are any left they will be making it into the freezer as well.  Better to be hands on and practical with our food to save any waste.

I also have plans to pickle a couple of trays of eggs in readiness for Christmas.  

One of the chief reasons I do so much preserving is for Christmas, especially, chutneys, pickled onions, picallili, pickled shallots etc. etc.  Basically  in our family, family tradition dictates that the ladies of the house cook Christmas dinner (this is more for practical reasons than anything else, not that the men cannot cook).  The men of the family then do the washing up so that the ladies can sit for a little while.  Tea and meals afterwards consist of cold cuts and everyone helps themselves. Everything is prepared ahead of time and only a minimal amount of cooking is required after the main event (unless other guests are expected).

I have also found some Victoria Plums at the veg shop and intend to pop up some plum crumbles for puddings into the winter months as well.  Pudding during the winter months always warms the soul and served with custard is something to really look forward too.  We have a bone of contention here in that I love cinnamon OH does not so I tend to leave it out and just sprinkle a little cinnamon sugar on my serving - saves some messing around.   I store my cinnamon sugar in a Kilner shaker jar and keep this on hand on one of my pantry shelves.

However, I desperately need the new large chest freezer as soon as possible. I still cannot organise this as we need to have the old ones taken away.  The Council are still not making collections which is a bit of a thorn in the side at the moment as I need this to happen in order that we can replace those failed appliances fridges and freezers and get back to a state of normal.  I still have no fridge and only one freezer which is nearly full.

On a separate note,I also took delivery last night of a Ninja Foodi Tendercrisp pressure cooker/multi-cooker the 7.5litre version.  OH decided that this would be a good option to cook meals in the caravan together with the cooker so I am looking forward to playing with this in due course.  It may be a piece of equipment that goes between the caravan and the house.

Ninja Foodi 7.5L Multi Pressure Cooker Air Fryer Dehydrator 0

Ninja Foodi

I think the pressure cooking side of this is going to be ideal especially for making pie fillings, stews etc.  I also see that it will be very good for stock making, especially if have cooked and crisped a chicken before hand.


Ninja Foodi 6 litre version


(if you click on the link above it will give you the options on size for the Foodi).  It is certainly a very solid and well-balanced piece of equipment.

As the week is new I shall keep my eyes peeled for other reductions during the week to pop stuff up in the freezer or indeed for dehydrating.  All good stuff to Squirrel away for winter days.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x




Comments

  1. I have a PKP which is an electric cooker, I love it, delicious stewed or braised beef in 20 minutesm it fries and you can cook cakes in it although thats not something I have tried. excellent for making stock or soup too, easy to keep clean. So glad I bought it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne, I remember you advocating the PKP before. OH bought this though as he thought it might be useful for cooking in the caravan. I must admit that I had looked at the PKP as it had struck me as being a very useful piece of kitchen equipment. I hope you are keeping well. Could you pm me with the link to your blog. Thank you. Original link would not work. Hope you and Edwin are keeping sane and well. Take care Tricia x

      Delete
  2. My son has this, it makes the most delish moist lemon chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy, now that sounds a really good recipe to try. We love chicken and lemon here too. Hope you are keeping well and safe. Take care Tricia x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts