Cleaning my boots

Yesterday I set to and cleaned a couple of pair of ankle boots that I had.  They are both a suedette effect only cheap and cheerful boots but I like to get my money's worth out of whatever I buy and so if I can keep them going that bit longer I will do.  Besides I just get the boots worn in, comfortable to wear and then it is usually time to sling them. 

I had bought from the £ shop a few months a go a cheapie carpet foam for spot cleaning carpets.  I had cleaned these boots before with some Ariel liquid washing soap and they had come up not too bad, but the nap did not seem as plush as it used to by the time I had finished.  Under normal circumstances this is how I tend to clean grimed up boots or shoes (synthetics only of course) by rubbing the washing liquid into grimed up fabric.  If it is particularly dense then I use some washing up liquid (Fairy) on the stain particularly if I suspect it is oil or grease based and that usually shifts things.  However, I could not find the carpet foam and so ended up going to the shop and purchasing some more foam carpet cleaner.  It was a bit pricy, but it will prove useful in the caravan for spot cleaning as well so I will get a lot of use out of it.

When I got home, I brushed down my boots with a special little brush that I normally use for my Uggs which brings the nap up on the boot a little.  I then coated each boot with plenty of the foam and rubbed it in using a non abrasive pot scourer and left them to dry.  They seem to have come up well and all signs of dirt seem to have gone which I am pleased with.  Now just to do the brushing with the little brush to bring the nap up and that is boots all ready for being used again.  Must say that the scent of the foam is really nice.

However, I would not use this on any kind of proper suede or leather footwear.

In the past I have used the washing machine to wash trainers, but I think that this way is going to be as good as any from now on in.  I do not suppose for one moment that you are supposed to use it this way, but it seems to work.  However, just a word of warning, follow the instructions of the product you buy and if not test spot the product first.

Catch you soo0n.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. I'll give it a try the next time my shoes get grimy. I have a couple of pairs of those fake suede slip ons and get them messed up walking dogs. No amount of protective coating preserves them from all the muck. Like you I wash trainers and sandals but there is always some deterioration from doing so. This sounds like a good alternative, thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts