Christmas Cacti


 

Some of my earliest memories of Christmas include beautiful Christmas Cacti.  When I was little they used to be a very vibrant red, then pink and then on to white.  Mum always had them and kept them all year long and then got them to flower again in time for the following Christmas.  Up until a few years ago I used to have them too but I always ended up losing them.  I think it is something to do with the amount of light this house has and the central heating (when it is working) probably being too warm and not enough light.  As I kept losing them I gave up.  However it has not stopped me looking at them.

Even though this Christmas may not be as many of our other Christmas's I am still making an effort to do as much as what I normally do.  Whilst in Waitrose on Saturday, I spotted a couple of Christmas Cacti, one bright pink the other very palest pink nearly white.  I have decided to give them another try and I may be able to take cuttings and get other plants out of these two for my initial outlay of £7 per plant.  The one I looked at last year was £15 and twice the size of the ones I have now bought. I am hopeful that I will be ale to do this and then pass on cuttings to friends and family in due course.



I am taking baby steps really; testing the water to see if I can sustain these plants year in and year out as they are fundamentally very much part of my Christmas memories and my mum and her green-fingers having success after success with the blossoms.  They are so pretty in their own right and a natural way of accentuating the home. I have two M & S cream table planters that I have had for a few years and never used.  I think that these will be ideal containers in which to place them one for the Lounge and one for the Dining room.



But first I have got to keep them.  Fingers crossed that I will be successful.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. I find that benign neglect works for my Christmas Catus. Water them once a month and put them outside from June to mid-September.

    I've put three in a large pot and have buds formed, so here's hoping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi 50 and counting. Mum used to shove hers out in the garden during the summer leaving it to the elements. It seemed to do them no end of good and then she used to re-pot them just before bringing them back in again. Mum also used to take cuttings by taking two or more of the leaves. She then used to take an old yogurt pot fill it three quarters with water. She then used to put cling film on top, poke a hole in the centre. She then used to wet the leaves, and poke the leaves into the hole. This used to encourage the roots to form as the plant will seek water from where it can. Once there is a nice strong network of roots pot into fresh compost and water. Then water where needed. Here is hoping that this year you will have success. Take care and keep safe. Tricia

      Delete
  2. My best friend gave my Mum a beautiful Christmas cactus, and she took it with her when she had to move to a nursing home. She had it there for 7 years, it thrived and was beautiful. When she died I gave it to the friend who had given it to Mum (She has a very green thumb) but it died within a couple of weeks! The lighting was right, she watered it properly (she has other Christmas cacti) and it just up and died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lefting, perhaps it was missing your mum's touch. My mum had hers for a lot of years and she always did wonderfully with them. The lighting in this house coupled with two cats who think plants are for eating means that they usually curl up on me here. However these ones are going into the front roomm which is cat free. Take care Tricia

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen a Christmas cactus for sale for years. What memories that brings back! Were there also Easter versions? My grandmother and one aunt had huge ones that flowered every Christmas and often gave us cuttings, but they never seemed to thrive with us. My aunt had what was then called a morning room which got lots of light but was quite cool where she kept all her tender plants and they seemed to do well. I have a utility with a wall of windows so am hoping to do the same for some hardy veg, but if I see a Christmas cactus for sale I'll definitely get one. Good luck with your two. I remember the mostly being reddish pink but a white one would be spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fifitr, Waitrose have had them for the past few years. There were Easter versions as well which my mum also had. They do prefer a cooler room and with central heating it may be too hot for them sometimes. I hope you are able to find one or two. Take care and keep safe. Tricia x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts