Monday

At 5:40am this morning it was thick fog on the caravan site and dawn was just about breaking. I was awake and nosing out of the bedroom window. Fortunately the river has gone down to what it was which is a blessing.

We needed to top up on foodie items for the next few days and so planned to go to the Co-Op in Dulverton to get what we needed.

On the way out we needed to replace one of the gas bottles.  We have been impressed with how much usage we have managed to get out of one bottle.  Four full weeks of holidays, using the cooker more or less every day and also the central heating for the van which has been very effective at keeping me warm. We have two gas bottles on board so were able to switch over to the other bottle last night, but even so still needed the second one replacing and did that on the way out to Dulverton. We called into the site shop to get some more eggs we have gone through quite a lot of these eggs since we have been here and I intend to take some home with me at the end of the week.  Whilst there I bought some more of the scones and clotted cream.  We had not realised but they also sell meat.  So we also purchased more back bacon, and some Old English Sausages and also a couple of large lamb double steaks for tea later on the week.  I may just have to get some chicken for one meal but that should cover us for the rest of the week.  

We indeed have been lucky with the flooding issue as the river round Dulverton way is to the top of its banks, nearly all the way along the valley and rushing along at great speed. On the way to Dulverton the sun did come out for a very short while and it was lovely to see, however since then we have gone to overcast cloud and very light rain showers.  The wind every so often keeps getting up. However, before dusk we did indeed have a little more sunshine with patches of blue sky bigger than a handkerchief - not just one but many of them.  

I went into the Co-Op and got some essentials like milk, bread and some other bits and bobs.  We then had a potter down the hill with the intention of going to the Fishing Tackle shop.  OH had decided that we both needed new wellie boots and I needed a waterproof coat.  However before we got there we came across a delightful little shop selling a mixture of hand crafted pieces brand new and a range of different crafts and very nice second hand pottery and glassware.  Alison who owns the shop has recently downsized and is getting rid of 30 years worth of collecting - a kindred spirit. OH had spotted an ideal waterproof for me in here and so I tried it on and came away with it as it fitted me perfectly.  

The other day when we had gone by the shop I had seen a lovely fresh water pearl necklace and ear-rings in  the window and as I had not seen it today I had assumed it had been sold. However I found it on the shelf when looking around so that has come home with me too.  Alison makes jewellery and made this particular piece a necklace and ear-ring set. I am really chuffed - this is a present to me and I am really pleased with the waterproof as well.  OH is now calling me "Little Red Riding Hood"!



We then progressed to the fishing tackle shop and came away with two pairs of heavy duty Goodyear Neoprene lined wellies for me and for himself. He also came away with a Barbour felt hat (a replacement for one lost recently).

After getting back to the van from our short jaunt we then decided to venture out for a walk with Missy on the site we are on to check out what had been happening with the river and the waterfall further up the site.  Donned in our wellie boots and me in the new waterproof and OH in his complete with Missy dog. The river has gone down quite a lot overnight where we are on the site but further up the water is near to the top of the bank and the waterfalls are in full force.  Water is a powerful thing and in such weather you can well see why it is wiser to stay clear. Fortunately we were able to keep away from the bank although it was muddy walking.



















Needless to say Missy ended up muddied up to the armpits and so when we got in it was bath-time for her.  I dumped her in the kitchen sink and gave her a good going over.  She is now asleep under her blankie fast asleep with just her nose hanging out.




We also had some soup for mid-day snack and will shortly have a duplication of yesterday's meal. I cooked plenty yesterday and it has been fridged.  It will be an easy microwaveable meal for tonight.

Verdict, just as good as yesterday very warming and tasty and saved a lot of clatting about in the kitchen.  OH now has washing up to do!

I have also done a little more work on my needlepoint - I have not really done a lot despite the best of intentions.  I had planned on bringing the sewing machine but did not in the end. However I have plans to get stuck in when I get home.

Hopefully we will be able to get out and about tomorrow if we can.  It does not matter if we do not as we have been reasonably comfortable in the van and have just chilled down which is part of what we came away for in any event.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

  1. Sounds like you had a great spending-spree and found exactly what you needed and wanted in Dulverton. We nearly stopped there for lunch when we were house-hunting on the edge of Exmoor recently, but in the event went on to South Molton instead.

    I hope you can get out and about again today.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts