Cake Tins, Sweetie Jars, Kilner Jars and Childhood memories

This post is prompted by a post I read on a friend's instagram account Louise of Living the Good Life in Wales about recycling old sweet tins and it really prompted some memories for me.  It was also confirmation that I am not the only person to use old sweet tins for keeping cakes, pies and pastries in and other bits and bobs in.  My Nan used to do this and indeed I have her old button tin which is a Quality Street tin (one of the early ones) recycled from one of the many Christmas's we had with them as children.  My mum also did this and I have some old tins and some newer ones that I use for this purpose also.

I have also gone a little further than this in that one wall of my pantry is covered with shelves containing the large old glass Roses sweetie jars (and other makes) which are used for bulk storage of things like pasta, dessicated coconut, bread flour, plain flour, SR Flour, porridge oats etc. etc. I have also accumulated a collection of ground glass stoppered storage jars.

I inherited some of my mother's old Dual Purpose Kilner jars.  These were wide necked preserving jars with metal seals (much like the modern Kilner jars but with bigger seals).  They are still usable as the Liefheit jar seals and rings fit this particular model of jar perfectly.  They are in turn ideal for storing pears and peaches in, so I have been able to recycle these and put them back into use again.  Not only is it good to recycle it is also lovely to have very different storage ware available and it helps me find things quickly.

My Nan had the ground glass stoppered Kilner jars which were older than the Dual Purpose ones. Unfortunately, my Nan gave these away to a neighbour so I missed out on these. When the jars were empty and in the garage Pop my Granddad used to fish them out and used to use them as skittles to keep both my brother and I entertained as youngsters and we used to love it.  Special time and fun with a much loved Granddad.

On wet dark days or dark dull days like today he used to take us into the front porch which had been turned into a sun lounge, get his Banjo or his squeeze box out, play music to us and have us singing along (in a fashion) with him.  I really used to love this and at Christmas time as well.  As a child it was very magical to go to my Grandparents' home in the dark, tucked up in coats and blankets to keep us warm. Stars shining brightly, often with it snowing and heaped up alongside the road.  Singing carols, little ditties.  My Dad was very good at keeping us both entertained. On getting in we would be parked in front of a roaring fire in my Nan's dining room, outer clothing taken off and bundled up into our pjs.  We were always allowed some time to warm up and then given either hot cocoa or Horlicks before being scuttled off to bed.

Pop also used to use us as bird scarers.  He used to take an old fashioned metal cocoa tin, punch holes in the lid and the base.  He would then put in a bit of small kindling like dried leaves, hay, small twigs and set it alight.  It just produced smoke.  The tin was attached to a long string and he used to have my brother and I take it in turns and spin the cocoa tin in a wheel to keep the birds away from the crops in the garden. The tin swirled smoke. We were always supervised and never came to any harm at all.

We were also given an old chicken shed to play in and between us my brother and I turned this into a Den.  It kept us occupied for ages but the grown ups always knew where we were.

We also used to be taken "Newting", and "butterfly" catching as well as "tiddling" catching sticklebacks out of the river and putting them in a jar before returning them to the river before we left.  It kept us occupied and out of mischief.  Sadly these pursuits are frowned upon today, which I understand, but it in turn makes my memories all the more special.

At this time of the year we would have been at my Nan's for a family meal and to bring in the last of the apples either by climbing the trees or hooking them down.  Invariably I would be up a ladder somewhere along the line.  Apple picking is something that marked the seasons and without this seasonal marker  sometimes the days seem longer and rudderless.

We were so, so very lucky and still very much are.

Do you have items that you have recycled/upcycled or which are in constant use because of the memories attached to them.

Would love to hear.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts