Christmas Project

In the latest edition of  my quilting magazine there is an embroidered red-work embroidery pattern created by Mandy Shaw which was originally intended as a wall hanging. I love red work embroidery in any event and have slowly been acquiring some patterns for my stash.  I have decided I like the pattern a lot an awful lot (thank you Mandy) and I am going to turn it into this year's Christmas cushions.  I have added to the pattern a little in the centre. Will show that when stitched.

This is my  Christmas make if you like for 2020 when everyone needs something to cheer them up a bit, what better than the words from a well known, loved and traditional Christmas story.  A story read before bedtime on Christmas Eve night in brand new pjs accompanied with a drink and mincepie left for Santa Claus and water and carrots for the Reindeer.  

As per my recent post about starting a cushion collection for decorating my festive home.  I love cushions I like sinking into them and just chilling, doing some handiwork, reading or even watching TV.  So inbetween working on the crochet blanket I have also had this little project on the go. I have only achieved the necessary preparation steps at the moment, but it is on the go.  I love embroidery in any event and this is not complicated by any means but on simple cream calico it looks simple and festive and tones in with all the other decorations.  You could always work it in navy, blue, green or gold or even purple. What I class as the "Royal" Christmas colours. Simply stitched I think helps bring that "Folksy" feeling to the decorations.

Next year I am hoping to have ready for Christmas 2021 some Star Crochet blankets/throws.  I am thinking Maroon red/cream at the moment.  Would go well with the Calico cushions.



One thing that has taken me by surprise this year is that although I have always made stuff for presents, I have realised that I want to make more of the seasons than ever before and make things and projects to emphasise the different seasons  for my home.  Another way to make my home more individual and I hope more of a way to celebrate and include the seasons.  Christmas is and always has been the main celebration probably because I am a really big kid inside. However, I also like to be different. I think all of a sudden I have realised that I want more home crafted stuff than bought although bought has its place.  The more I am starting to clear, the more I am starting to find space and much more importantly time to concentrate on finishing a project.  I intend working two of these cushion panels for this Christmas. The embroidery is simple and worked in back stitch.

You will need the Today's Quilter magazine which has the trace outs in the supplement to the magazine.  Once you have traced it out on your fabric then you can start the embroidery. I have traced one part of the pattern so far, the two bottom sections "Twas the night before Christmas" and have the other section to prepare tonight.  The Calico has been washed and pressed in readiness as I want the project to be as even and as neat as possible.  I do not want a wonky cushion, although wonky can be spectacular not on a cushion.

Are you already working a Christmas project for this year or do you have plans to work one for next Christmas.

Love to hear from you.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

  1. I sewed that redwork panel about 2 years ago as a candle mat - it looks lovely with a candle lit glass hurricane lamp on it - Dandelion designs website is well worth a look for patterns - I've also made a number of her hanging door hearts and cushions too - another good site is Daisy chain designs and Bird House designs - if you have any linen hidden away Patty, Ive found that it makes the perfect fabric for redwork - I would also recommend her Coton A Broder for sewing with, it doesn't split and makes for a cleaner line - hope that helps, just a couple of things I've learnt along the way with redwork and a few Web sites to tempt you too lol - you take care xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts