Crochet to soothe the nerves

I cannot settle at the moment and feel I need to be doing more than I am actually achieving.  So in those moments I have started a pick up put down crochet blanket project worked in squares.  The wool I already had to hand and once finished it will serve as a throw for my Rocking Chair in my bedroom. The colours are peppermint green and white.  I am going to work all the centres and then start working the next round on all the squares and then so on as a more efficient way of producing the blanket and in an effort to get this accomplished as quickly as I can. Especially with everything else that is going on at the moment.  I tend to be a bit of an owl and am not ready to go to bed when I should be so this can be quietly done without disturbing OH, the dog or the cats who are particularly fond of mum crocheting as it is an opportunity to play tag with the wool!  We have had some serious messes in the past and I am trying to avoid them at all costs.

As the need to be crafting at the moment is with me quite strongly, I felt the need to start this project quickly. In real time I  only started the project on Thursday evening, so I am hoping that it will grow quickly.  I am working all the squares the same on this project and may give a green border with a picot edging at the end when all joined up.  I am doing green centres then white and so on finishing with a green border and the squares consist of seven rows in all at the moment.

I have worked one square, as to how I think I want the squares to be.  I am in the pros of working all the centres now.  I am pretty happy with how the square has worked up, but like everything it could change in size still and I could end up working plain squares to split everything up.  We shall have to wait and see. I am using The Women's Institute Premium Acrylic yarn for this project.  It is a double knit yarn in 100g balls and came from Hobbycraft, a couple of years ago, However here is the first square as I want it at this particular moment.  I work all the ends in by hand when I am making up the blanket. All the squares will have to be blocked before joining all the squares as well.



This should clear some more wool in the back room as I have a big bag stuffed with this wool.

I like crochet.  I like sewing and I like crafting and patchwork.  I am currently looking at some templates that came with Today's Quilter magazine sometime back which are for a square, hexagon and triangle. They are talking to me another hand project with some old Laura Ashley fabric that I have had for sometime.  Primarily thinking nine patch here.  However I think I should do some more on the hand-worked hexie quilt I have in hand; I have a load more of Hexies to cut shortly for this in any event so may well have a major cutting session for both this quilt and also newer projects.

I have also got the latest Today's Quilter magazine and there are some projects in there I fancy having a go at and in last month's as well.  Will have to see how things go.  I have lots of calico fabric for some of the projects in any event.

I truly believe that hand-worked items such as crochet blankets or indeed knitted blankets and quilts add an element of comfort that bought goods do not necessarily give.  They make everything so cosy and of course because you have made it yourself you get the colours you want or those that will blend in with what you already have.

I think that if I can do some crochet each evening, the blanket will grow quickly and soon be completed.  I am hoping so and then I will be able to go onto another project.  And if I get a few moments inbetween then all the better.  I think Crochet is the craft that I vegetate naturally back to as you can pick it up and put it down and it grows so quickly.

Right upwards and onwards lots to do.  At least the sun is out today.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts