Friday Roundup

 It has not been a good day.  a case of two steps forward one step back.  However we will be able to get the dishwasher in which is important as the weather forecast for the weekend is grim.  Welly boots and rain mac at the ready except my wellygogs are down at the van at the moment.  OH may well have to go there tomorrow as we do need to close the van down for the season.

I have had my hands in water all day and still a way to go.  I did a side step earlier on and decided to clean a couple of pieces of brass and copperware up.  Well at least start them.  They were in a terrible state having been in the box outside which got water in it.  The pieces were black and covered in Verdigris.  I did not think I would ever be able to buff them up.  However with a little time and patience I am getting there with the aid of Bar Keepers friend to give the pieces a really good scrubbing and then polished up with with Autosol.  This is the time of year I clean the brass and copper anyway.  So now I am getting back to what I was doing before the slight detour.

My Nan had a Woodburner and an open fire and she had copper and brass pieces decorating both fireplaces.  I have quite a few of these but have also added to the collection.  Whilst I do not always enjoy the cleaning process I do love it when it is all clean and spick and span and gleaming.

With regard to my foot and the damage caused yesterday it was worse than I thought, but I do have it sanitised and a fresh dressing on it as well as plaster.  The glass pierced the bottom of my foot and was messy and was a deep cut. Very sore at the moment, but that will pass. These things are sent to try us.  I fetched fresh supplies from the Chemist this morning.  I had also run out of my Vitamin D3 tablets and have bought a new bottle of these as well.

I have found four brand new Mason Cash pie dishes from one of the boxes which have been scrubbed up and put into the kitchen.  They were bought for bulk baking and freezing of pies.  Once the new Chest freezer is bought then I will be able to get cracking with stocking the freezer up.

So here I go again.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. So sorry to hear about your foot - sounds most unpleasant. More crafting and less sorting for a little while, perhaps? Just when you seem to be on a roll, too. Woodburners and brasses must have made for a lot of cleaning for your grandma - I remember considering it a high treat to clean a little brass seal my grandmother had. It was so tactile and the way rubbing it with Brasso and a clean rag produced all that muck from something that didn't really look dirty to me was almost magical.

    I have a 12 piece silver cutlery set but no brass and I fall back on the salt, vinegar and aluminium foil method for cleaning - it's quite an intricate design and bathing them gets into all the nooks and crannies in a way that rag polishing never will. I have a big clean just before Christmas and that seems to last through the year (with 12 to choose from and only 2 of us eating most of the time, if the tines of a fork or a knife gets a bit discoloured I just avoid using those until December rolls around;). Rest up. The cleaning and sorting will still be there when your foot's recovered.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts