The Mincemeat is in the Rumtopf Pot

The scene is set, I have had Christmas music playing in the background and in an attempt to get some Christmas smells and spirit into my soul I have set about making some mincemeat.  It is very cathartic. I have also lit a new apple cinnamon candle that I found at the Chemists the other day.  It is not a Yankee Candle one but it smells lovely. I love late autumn/winter days where you can light a candle, and there is the smell of spice in the air from making goodies for the Christmas Pantry and perhaps having a glass of mulled wine or cider as an aside or even a slug of Sloe Gin.  The darker days are meant for celebrating life in this fashion.

In reality I made this batch of mincemeat  a few days ago; i grabbed a few spare moments where I could.  I will probably add a few more layers to it over the coming days.

I have made many variations of mincemeat over the years  and these are included in the Mincemeat Posts below.  My favourite organic way of making it is by a method recommended to me by my friend Bovey Belle.  There are several links way back on the blog specifically here which also include other recipes I have tried.  I would say at this point that I also like the Pam Corbin's Recipe for Mincemeat too.  Mincemeat also keeps longer than a year.

See the links here: Mincemeat Posts

I note that the link for the Pam Corbin mincemeat recipe is not working from my original post (such is life).  There is a link via Vigo Presses 

here : Pam Corbin Plum and Russet Mincemeat

and a link here for Jam Jar Shop Mincemeat


The first batch is in one of my Rumtopf pots and is now curing in readiness for use this coming Christmas. I have used a lot during the year and more or less run out.  I fancied mince pies yesterday and the cupboard was bare so I had to buy some.  Not on so some more needs to be made although I still have the munchies for mince pies so may well go and buy some more in the interim but really I should be baking them. I will be able to once the mincemeat has cured.  I have since made a second pot as I have apples in at the moment. However you can pep up a jar of bought mincemeat by adding some rum or brandy, some more chopped apple or grated apple, even some nuts - not much just to give it a bit more umpff.

Home made Mincemeat is a lot tastier than a lot of the bought stuff and if you make it yourself you can give it away as a pressie to someone who likes to cook or have the option of using it all year long.  Think mince pies in July!  Go on be a devil.  When you make things yourself you always have the choice especially if you keep a well stocked Pantry/Larder specifically for such a purpose.  I am hopeful that people as a result of the lockdown want to cook more than they have in the past..

Well I know its not July now, but you get the gist.

There is no real recipe for this, just a bit of this and a bit of that and you build it up bit by bit.  Lots of layers.  Whilst in the making, you can add things daily if you want.  

Using up bits of dried fruit that would possibly go to waste or fresh fruit now that is proper "Waste not want not" ethos..  No need for waste with this recipe.  Just keep a note of what you put in, write yourself a list.  That way you will be recreate the recipe next year.  Most of the adjustment though will come with the spicing.  That differs from person to person.  If you are still unsure check out standard recipes and use similar ingredients and spicing, but let your Mincemeat ferment naturally.

However, I thought I would show you what I do, and then what you add is up to you at the end of the day.



I am using a glazed Rumtopf pot (mine is bright red just the right colour for Christmas)  but you could use a ceramic bread crock (I always turn the label side to the wall in any event) and put a suitable label as to contents.  That way round you get to use delicious old pottery and if you put wooden lids on them you are recycling them/putting them to good use. 

I start by adding  a selection of finely chopped dessert apples and I cover these with some dark brown soft sugar, about a teaspoon of cinnamon and mixed spice and some ground Mace and nutmeg.  This will have to be adjusted as I need some fresh spices from the shop (mine were not as strong as they should be) and out local shop does not sell them.  If you are unsure whether to use the full quantity of spice just add a bit and taste, and adjust.  Remember you can put a little in at a time and it will not necessarily overpower the mixture.

I had six small Cox's dessert apples which were past their best which I started this batch off with.  Peel and core  and then finely chop into pieces.  I also added six Braeburn apples as well.




Put in your pot or bowl and then add about three to four ounces approx (I chucked in a good handful)  of the dark brown sugar. Give them a good stir to coat the apple with the sugar.  This liquifies quite quickly. The apples and the sugar will form the coating liquid for the mincemeat.




I then added in a couple of handfuls of sultanas and raisins and mixed in again.  I added 1 teaspoon of mixed spice, half a teaspoon of cinnamon, mace and nutmeg.  Mix again.  I may add more though as I was not too chuffed with what I had in.  This is all about tasting and making sure that you like what you are tasting. You can also add a little dried cloves or ginger as well. I need some new spices in any event as I want to make Speculaas biscuits this year.  Not made them before but it is not Christmas in this household without them.




I start off with a little and then if more is needed - I add more ingredients making sure that there is enough brown sugar and apple to coat the layers. I have also added the juice of a Clementine and some zest from the skin.  You build this up little by little until the pot is full. I also make sure that there is an even mixture between the apple and the dried fruits.  You might have to add in a bit more apple to give an equal ratio as you go along.  I added six more apples and more fruit etc repeating the initial steps apart from the spicing.  




I am about three quarters of the way up the pot and tomorrow I have glace cherries, stem ginger or candied ginger and some mixed peel to add in tomorrow.  What you add in is up to you.  A lot of what I mention is by way of suggestion but make sure the ingredients you do use complement each other i.e. honey and brandy, honey and whisky, rum and apple.

You can add dried cranberries, dried apricots, candied ginger, stem ginger, dried mango, currants, orange zest, orange juice, dried mixed peel. chopped cherries, almonds, (any dried fruit even your own dried fruit like cherries).  

You can also add chopped pear and also cooked plums.  However I would not leave the mincemeat to ferment if using the cooked plums or fresh cranberries, or pears. I would cook this in the oven to cook the mincemeat and to heat treat any fermenting element.  I would follow the recipe that Pam Corbin uses for the Plum and Russet Mincemeat which is linked above.  

You can also use honey, add wine, add rum, add brandy, Sloe Gin, Amaretto, Sherry (not all at once but you have a choice - just be careful with the Amaretto as it can be slightly over-powering.  The alcohol is a form of preservative in any event). I tend to leave the alcohol until the end. This is to preserve and add a little flavour not to drown the preserve.  I like Rum and Brandy, but I also adjust the spicing at the end too. 

I do not always add suet but you can; you can also use the vegetarian version as well.  Alternatively you can use grated butter as a replacement for the suet.  The recipe will need some fat so if you do not use the suet add chopped or frozen grated butter about 3 ozs. Be careful though as equally you do not want the Mincemeat swimming in fat. Just enough to coat it. This also helps preserve the mincemeat. \My butter will go in tomorrow with the rest of the cherries, and ginger.

Therefore as I have said above, write down what you put into your mincemeat to keep account of what you have used and if you like it then you have your own recipe to repeat next year.

Making mincemeat this way needs careful attention .  I use muslin on the top of the Rumtopf so that the mixture can breathe.  Although I want the mixture to ferment I do not want it to go mouldy, so make sure you mix it at least a couple of times per day and keep those juices running  When it is runny enough for you the sugar and apple syrup then you can heat process it if you wish in the oven or just bottle into sterilised jars and store in a dark and cool place.

The options are yours and it makes a few jars of very fine mincemeat for the pantry shelf.

My kitchen and pantry are cold at the moment so an ideal environment in which to let the juices run naturally.  Central heating can affect the preserve and end up with it being mouldy if care and attention is not paid to it.  So if you have an old fashioned cold larder or say an outside garage that is cold that would be an ideal environment in which to ferment and then keep your mincemeat naturally.

One thing that has grieved me though is that under normal circumstances with all the apple peels, cores, fruit skins etc. I would have made up a batch of Pam Corbin's Compost Jelly.  However because of lack of freezer space I am unable at the present time to deal with this.  But next time, it will be made straight after.  Waste not want not.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x




Comments

Popular Posts