Christmas Day Catch up

Christmas Day 

A quiet relaxed day for the pair of us with the emphasis on the meal evolving and no time constraints.  We on a normal Christmas usually eat about 1:00pm an ideal time for sitting down to our meal and then getting washed up in readiness for the Queen's Speech.  This is the way that my grandparents used to deal with things and travelled down into our own family celebrations.  This year though we ate at 6:00pm.  It would have been a little earlier but I got to speak to my mum's older brother (My uncle and Godfather) for a little while which was lovely. He is edging on nearer 90.  I also know that it was thanks to my uncle a lot of the time that my Gran, my Mum and their siblings managed to survive on next to nothing.  A very giving man and one I am extremely fond of.

We had the roasted Turkey which was very delicious with lots of flavour and very moist.  We had cooked it on a bed of celery, carrots and onions and I used that to help create a very rich gravy to serve with our meal.  It was very tasty.  I did change the vegetables up though to what I had originally intended.  We had shredded buttered cabbage, roast parsnip, roast potato, carrots, runner beans, Brussel sprouts and cauliflower together with pigs in blankets and home made sausage stuffing. I also made home made bread sauce which also went down very well and Cranberry sauce with Coitreau.  It went down a treat.  Closely followed by my home made Christmas pudding which was really delicious.

We picked a little later on as well especially at the pigs in blankets and the stuffing.  I always make plenty as it soon goes.

Boxing Day will be a lazier day time to just be and potter and do what we want to, after all there are only the two of us to please.

It seems to have been a very strange Christmas, but at least we have for the best part been able to celebrate even though in a subdued matter to what we would normally be able to and that I am grateful fo.  It would however have been perfect to "break bread" with those nearest and dearest to us.  However we do have to be sensible even though it may go against the grain.  Sensible at the end of the days is not being boring but being pro-active just in a very different way.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

  1. Sounds as if you had a lovely day, I cooked a turkey with all the trimmings which was all very nice. Just the two of us, we usually have at leave 13 or 14 of our combined families that come for our Christmas dinner. However, this year it was very subdued due to the restrictions in place. Today, Boxing Day, additional restrictions go into affect for the next month, in an effort to curb the spread of the virus.
    We have a very white Christmas, last evening at 9:00 p.m. we had 9 1/2 inches of snow, this morning greeted up with eleven (11) inches and we can expect some flurries today, which could add to that amount. Hope this weather was a blessing in disguise and forced people to stay home.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia, it was lovely and quiet and we could just please ourselves. Glad you had a peaceful time too and a lovely lunch and a white Christmas to boot. All the way round us has had some snow just not in Peterborough yet. That is a lot of snow. I have a feeling this January is going to be cold here in the UK like it was when we were children. It is a long time since the temperatures have been cold enough and last winter was positively warm so hardly killed the bugs off.. You take care and enjoy the rest of the season Tricia xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts