I hope you had a wonderful festive day. My husband and I had cheese and biscuits for lunch and enjoyed it very much as we don't normally have cheese. It included some stilton from Aldi and I was very impressed with it. Like you I don't like it too strong and this was very creamy, like the whole stiltons my father bought home for Christmas when I was little. I'd forgotten how much I liked it among all the overpowering ones I'd tried to eat in recent years, and will definitely buy it again (next Christmas!). We followed up our cheesy feast with two small glasses of madeira and since we've not drunk very much at all this year we both fell asleep all afternoon. I would like to put it down to starting the day with a long beach walk, wishing fellow dog-walkers Merry Christmas, but that cleared the cobwebs and made us very awake, along with the flask of strong coffee we polished off sitting on the cliff looking at the waves rolling in. Sadly I must conclude that if I want to stay awake to cook our festive dinner tonight I need to stay off the booze. The upshot was we had cheese and some canapes for Christmas dinner, as neither of us had much of an appetite in the evening. But that's the beauty of being on your own, you can do exactly what you want. I hope you enjoyed all the delicious stuff you were preparing yesterday. Now I must be off to peel the spuds I didn't get round to yesterday!
Ah Fifitr, sometimes you are allowed to enjoy Christmas too and just because custom dictates that you eat this or that at a certain time does not mean you have to follow suit. All that matters is that you do your own thing and are content and happy with that. Our meal ended up later than planned (we normally eat mid-day) but as there was no fire anywhere there was no need to rush. Glad you got a good walk and a lovely hot drink to boot. Take care Tricia xx
For some unknown reason this well and much loved Pantry staple disappeared from the Nestle products, along with Fussells Cream quite a while ago. Well certainly in this country i.e. the UK. Although it appears to be still available in the States and Canada. The last time I managed to buy any of the Nestle cream was from my local Asian shop and I managed to get it a couple of times and that was it. Which set me thinking, a proper Asian Food shop selling Nestle cream is absolutely worth its salt! Despite me asking since they have been unable to locate it. I use my local Asian shop a lot and so I decided to do a little further prowling on the Internet. I had been doing a bit of roaming on the Internet in any event for a while without success. However at long last I think I have potentially found a replacement for this. I loved tinned cream especially with tinned fruit as part of our Sunday afternoon tea when growing up. I have therefore made a purchase and I will tr...
2025 has been a lot busier for me overall. Of course there have been hiccups and things going wrong but that is par for the course and you just have to "pivot" and change course, get on with things as they happen to you. Sometimes though it is like digging yourself out of treacle. There is a saying that goes something along the lines of if it does not break you, then it makes you. That for me is forever the silver light in sometimes murky waters. 2025 has been positive in many ways. I officially retired and I seem to be finding my "peace" along the way. I am also having to realise and appreciate that my limitations due a lot of the time to medical issues need to be taken more seriously and adapted more. Unfortunately I have added another couple of conditions to the list and quite frankly am getting very bored with it and frustrated with the limitations that are imposed as a result of trying to keep myself healthy. I am here, I am pres...
I first had a parsnip based chutney a few years ago on one of my forays on holiday down to Cornwall. We bought it from one of the Cider Farms and although disappointed with the cider we bought back we didn't open the chutney until Christmas. What a delight and revelation that chutney was, needless to say it was a mega jar and it got used up quickly. Under normal cicumstances I would have gone back and got some more but it has been sometime since we have been down to Cornwall and I have not therefore been able to restock. I tend to buy unusual preserve recipes when I find them and put them up for Christmas and if I like them I look out for recipes that are similar so that I can do my own home cured version. It helps sort out what we actually like as well. Sometimes the recipes sound good on paper but when made don't necessarily have quite the flavour you want. Recipes with root vegetables such as parsnip and swede tend to be rarer but I have located this one which I think w...
I hope you had a wonderful festive day. My husband and I had cheese and biscuits for lunch and enjoyed it very much as we don't normally have cheese. It included some stilton from Aldi and I was very impressed with it. Like you I don't like it too strong and this was very creamy, like the whole stiltons my father bought home for Christmas when I was little. I'd forgotten how much I liked it among all the overpowering ones I'd tried to eat in recent years, and will definitely buy it again (next Christmas!). We followed up our cheesy feast with two small glasses of madeira and since we've not drunk very much at all this year we both fell asleep all afternoon. I would like to put it down to starting the day with a long beach walk, wishing fellow dog-walkers Merry Christmas, but that cleared the cobwebs and made us very awake, along with the flask of strong coffee we polished off sitting on the cliff looking at the waves rolling in. Sadly I must conclude that if I want to stay awake to cook our festive dinner tonight I need to stay off the booze. The upshot was we had cheese and some canapes for Christmas dinner, as neither of us had much of an appetite in the evening. But that's the beauty of being on your own, you can do exactly what you want. I hope you enjoyed all the delicious stuff you were preparing yesterday. Now I must be off to peel the spuds I didn't get round to yesterday!
ReplyDeleteAh Fifitr, sometimes you are allowed to enjoy Christmas too and just because custom dictates that you eat this or that at a certain time does not mean you have to follow suit. All that matters is that you do your own thing and are content and happy with that. Our meal ended up later than planned (we normally eat mid-day) but as there was no fire anywhere there was no need to rush. Glad you got a good walk and a lovely hot drink to boot. Take care Tricia xx
ReplyDelete