A Trip to the Butchers

 As planned, we paid a trip to the Butchers and got stocked up on our meat supplies I hope for the best part of 10 to 14 days, but we will see how things go.

I managed to find some very nice Rib Eye at the Butchers which was hand cut to the the thickness I required.  Not particularly big, but they look as though they will have a lot of flavour.  I just hope OH likes them.  They are for his birthday meal tomorrow and I shall cook home made chips, fried onion, fried button mushrooms and maybe do a cauliflower and broccoli garlic bake to go with it.  Will see what the birthday boy wants with it.  I will also make some Creme Caramels which are his favourite pudding and a Lemon Self-Saucing Pudding.

I then prevaricated as to what joint we were going to have for tea today.  I was a tad extravagant but none of it will go to waste.  I bought a small leg of lamb and also a one rib piece of beef.  Since we got home we decided that we were not up to a full scale roast this evening and so we have indulged in a Sausage Sarnie each which has gone down very nicely.  We do well on the food front, and to slow up a bit now and then is no real hardship in fact I need it.  OH might be able to eat for England but I cannot always do the same.

I also bought three Chicken breasts for home made curry during the week.  If he does not fancy the curry then may make them into Kiev's as have plenty of bacon and also garlic and cheese.

One kg Minced Beef.  There was an offer on in that if you bought One kg of Minced Beef, then you would get a further kilo free.  We use a lot of mince so that will not go to waste either, although it will not be Lasagna this week as we had that last week.

As OH has taken a fancy to cooked breakfasts again, I have also bought in One kg of Back Bacon and also One kg of Gloucester Old Spot Sausages.  I like Chipolatas and I may well get them next time, however for this coming week I think Sausages are a more practical option and I may well be able to get a Toad in the Hole out of them as well.  Fingers crossed as it makes a good hearty meal during the middle of the week and does not take too long to make.  Equally if a quick tea is needed have the possibility of a fry up instead of a full blown meal.

I also bought a strip of Sausagemeat to make some home made Sausage Rolls and Bacon and Cheese Stars as I have some puff pastry defrosting in the fridge.

Some strong cheddar for use generally.  I may have to get some more during the week as we use a fair amount of cheese.

I found a small gammon joint in the fridge before I left out to go to the Butcher's which I put into soak to remove excess salt as otherwise the meat is far too salty.  It has had its first soak and is currently in its second.  





If you look at the above photos carefully, you perhaps will see that the water is cloudy.

Here is the Gammon after the second soak, you will notice that the water is not as cloudy now. However, I still think it needs another soak.



I shall then cook that in the pressure cooker and then finish it off in the oven with a marmalade and brown sugar or marmalade and ginger glaze (either the juice from a jar of preserved ginger or ginger powder and sugar.  We shall then use that for sarnies or a Ploughman's Platter during the week.

Still in the fridge I have a couple of Gammon Steaks (I have managed to locate a couple of tins of pineapple so OH should be happy about that).  I have been having difficulty in getting hold of pineapple and certainly have not been able to get any from the Co-Op.

I also have some Pork that will get used up during the week as well.  I have seen another pastry recipe that I want to have a go at.  Am working with the meat and some of the pastry things I aim to have a go at towards a Ploughman's Platter plate each.

The meat from the Butcher was packed into a large box for transporting home for me. After sorting the fridge out when we got back from the Butcher's and getting everything packed away the cats have taken over the box playing tig and chase and eventually curling up fast asleep in said box.  They are worse than children.  I can see that I am going to have to let this stay for a day or two until I can sneak it out.

I also had to nip to the Co-Op after the fridge was sorted for some bits and bobs.  Whilst in there I spotted a couple of bargains on the reduced section and I ended up bringing home two packs of diced chicken which I think will make a good chicken pie and two packs of Loin chops which I think will be ideal for going into a couple of home made pork pies.  I went on a course quite a while back on how to make these and I have made them a couple of times, although it is some time since I have made any so time for another play.

I could do with a couple of chickens, a couple of packs of Chicken thighs or drumsticks and a couple of packs of stewing beef and that should see us fine for the fortnight.

As I am in effect cooking twice a day most days i.e. we are using leftovers for mid-day meal and then have a fresh meal of an evening this will soon go.  I envisage that there will not be enough bacon or sausages for OH but the Butcher's is not that far away so he can always nip and get these re-stocked.

I suspect that there will be fish either on the Thursday or on Saturday.  So more than plenty to go at. 

I need to do a veggie shop as I am now low on veggies.  That will probably happen on Tuesday when the veg shop is open again.  However I did pick up some more cucumber to pickle, some Kale, Rocket and Spinach to dehydrate for the greens jar. how to here Dehydrating Kale. I may go back for more cucumber tomorrow as OH has used all that I made before Christmas.

So plenty to do as usual.  Looks as though am going to be having an early start tomorrow.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

Popular Posts