Friday round up

 After this morning's visitations I have got stuck in and done a bit more cleaning, sorting and chucking. We have received confirmation that the new boiler has been approved and they are also talking about providing a new fitted kitchen, which I could seriously do with.  The one we have was put in by us 25 years ago and despite looking after it, it is a bit past its best through natural wear and tear.  So we shall see what happens on that score but at least a little bit of positive news on the boiler front.

Since then I have been engaged in more housework.  Lots of hands in water etc. and lots of drying and washing done.

For tea, we have had:

OH has had a piece of gently fried Plaice. 

I have had natural smoked fish cooked in milk with butter added.  I have also used the poaching liquid to cook the poached eggs in.  It works extremely well and makes the meal a one pan dish, which saves on heat/energy, and saves on washing up as well.

For pudding we have had a thick wedge of chilled Honeydew Melon which has been deseeded and then diced with a knife and the dice then left in the "shell" to serve.  I have then sprinkled a little bit of sugar on

Alternatively, you can add a little undiluted lime cordial with the sugar as well or sprinkle ground ginger along with the sugar on top.  I like all three ways, but it just a way of making it slightly different.  Chilled Melon is wonderful.  The meal I had tonight bought back many memories as I first had this at my Aunty Rene's home as a little girl of about 3  1/2 years of age.  Aunty used to sometimes do smoked kippers as an alternative.  A good proper smoked kipper also makes a wonderful breakfast.

The Plaice being cooked first sealing the base and then flipping to cook the top.

 




The smoked Haddock.  Pan is filled with milk or milk and water, white pepper, butter, and a bay leaf and cooked for about 15-20 minutes.  If the fish is a thick fillet allow extra cooking time.



After popping the eggs into poach.  I do this approx five minutes before the fish is cooked.




The eggs have been the most beautiful colour just recently.  They came from the veg shop.

The fish now cooked



And a couple of shots on the plate.






Pudding was fridge chilled Honeydew melon with a sprinkling of sugar.



We have feasted very well indeed tonight.  I do not think we do too badly overall and we are enjoying our food.

I am just off to have a small glass of lemonade with a dash of Rhubarb and Ginger Gin.  It is fab. Chinn Chinn.

Catch you soon.


Pattypan


x





Comments

  1. Hello Patricia, it all looks delicious. So much better now with photo's on your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, and thank you. I am trying to put photos up where I can. I only have my mobile at the moment for photos so sometimes it depends as to whether the charge has run out or not. I hope you are keeping well. Take care. Tricia x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts