Meat Order

This morning here in Peterborough started very cold it was only 1 degree when we got up at 8:00am and there had been a very sharp frost. I had to throw a jumper on as I was so chilly. Fortunately since then things have warmed up a bit and the Sun (yes the Sun) has been out in all its glory so I am hopeful of warm days ahead even though we will still probably have cold nights. As indicated earlier in the week I am trialling out a new to us Butcher's; Stilton Butchers.  We arranged to collect this morning, and so were up with the lark for us at least to go and collect.  Must say very impressed with the set up.  

From the Butchers we then went to the Fish Man and ended up buying a complete fillet of smoked haddock, some cockles, some crayfish, Mussels for tea tonight, and some crevettes.  Not gone too barmy this week as we have the meat order as well.  We do pretty well on the food front and it is nice to have a variety of items, but there is no need to go completely OTT.

I also bought another tray of eggs from the stall next to the Fish Man.  They are there every Saturday as well and every so often they have the nice tiny eggs which are the first eggs from the new hens.  They are lovely if you can get hold of them.  I know I bought a tray of eggs yesterday, however I do have some baking to do, and I also am going to do a few jars of pickled eggs for OH.  Initially they will be hidden on the pantry shelf.  I have lots of other stuff to do as well but I also need to go down to Waitrose to get some bits and also call at the veg shop for some veggies.

We did not call at the Farm shop as they were not open before 10:00am and because of other commitments, we did not have time to wait.

We then went onto the Bakers but there was quite a queue and so yet again we did not wait.  They do nice old fashioned crispy buns, so we have foregone them this week.

We gave Missy a good walk and then came back to the house where I sorted the fridge out and then got the new Butcher's order ready to go in, as well as the fish.

I must say that I have been terribly impressed with the look and quality of the meat as it stands.    Nicely sized portions on the fillet steak, which are only small steaks at the best of time but they are nice and deep.  Same as the Lamb chops, these are from a joint and yet again a very nice size and thickness. The joint looks fantastic. Will let you know the full verdict once we have tasted it. We have decided to have Roast Beef with all the trimmings for dinner tomorrow.

Afterwards we then had some cray fish for me and OH had his crevettes.  

Watched the Raymond Blanc cooking programme.  Must say that I do like him as a Chef and there were quite a few of his mother's recipes on the show this morning, including a vegetable soup served three different ways which included using what the French call Pistou, which is basically a Pesto.  Looked very refreshing and very tasty.  Might just have to make some of that.

There was also a chicken and mustard braised dish, and surprisingly OH piped up that he would actually eat that so that may be on the cards later in the week.

There was also a beautifully dressed fresh mixed salad with a French Dressing on.  It looked super so that may well be on the cards at some point as well.  Nathan Outlaw was the guest this week and he did his version of fish and chips with mushy peas and home made Tartare sauce.  This was a gluten free recipe.  Looked lovely, however for me I have to have a smooth Tartare sauce as I do not like the lumps.  This was part 5 of the series of 10 I think.  Must say that I have very much enjoyed this.  This is really what cooking is about straight from plot to plate how my grandparents used to do it.  Hopefully I will be able to produce some veggies this year.

Right am off to do my thing.

Hopefully catch up later on.

Pattypan

x

Not really hungry at the moment but will be later on, but the Mussels will be more than filling for us both which we are having for tea tonight with some garlic bread.  Well that should keep away the vampires!

The afternoon to go yet, and still lots of things to do



Comments

Popular Posts