Pattypan's Kitchen What's in the fridge that needs using up - Lemons Part One Lemon Curd

I have some lemons that need using up that are in the fridge and I initially thought that I would make some Lemon Curd but then I thought Cordial as well.  

I do not like wasting stuff, and if the Lemons are too dry I always have the option of turning them into Lemon vinegar for cleaning with.  I love Lemon curd and I love Lemon cordial and I need both.

However, before I do anything else I will wash the lemons in warm water to get rid of any wax.  Before juicing the lemons I will roll each one for a few minutes as this helps release more juice from the lemon.  I tend to do them one at a time and then juice, then roll then juice.  Some zest is sometimes put into some recipes, if however it is not used in your particular recipe, zest the lemons before use, and mix them with some sugar.  You can then either dry in the dehydrator or on a baking sheet in the oven.  Once dried you can then decant to an airtight jar and use for decorating cakes or for making lemon drizzle for a lemon drizzle cake.  Do not waste it. Lemons are expensive to what they used to be and I suspect will get more expensive as time goes on.  So if you get an offer on Lemons make use of it, there is always something you can turn it into.

Ingredients:

100g/Approx 4 oz (just under) Unsalted Butter by recipe instructions but I have used salted butter and it has not made much of a difference.

4 Eggs Beaten

Grated zest and juice of 4 Lemons 

450g/approx 16oz (just under)

Method:

Either use a Double Boiler if you have one or a Bain Marie (a basin over a pan of boiling water)

Put all your ingredients into the bowl and bring to a gentle simmer. I was always taught that you did not need the water to boil as the hot water if it laps the base of the bowl may curdle the eggs.

Stir until all the sugar has dissolved. I use a balloon whisk to keep the mixture moving.  Continue heating, stirring until the curd thickens. I have found in practice this varies mixture to mixture so do not panic if it is not thickening as quickly as you think it should.  You need to stir as when the mixture takes it takes quickly and if you are not stirring it could scramble the eggs. If the mixture covers the back of a spoon, reasonably thickly it is ready.  Pour the curd into previously washed and warmed small pots.  Cover straight away.

I have water bathed mine for 10 minutes in a pan of water which is then bought up to the boil where the jars are covered  in water (hot water bathing) to help keep the Lemon Curd that bit longer. Lemon curd without doing this will have a very short shelf life.

Homemade Lemon curd is an absolute delight.  Lovely in pudding, sponge cakes, in jam tarts on toast with pancakes, in Lemon Meringue pudding a favourite of mine.  Basically the lemon curd is the bottom bit.  If you have this on the shelf, all you need is a pastry case which can also be made at home, and then some home made meringue for topping.  Better home made than out of a packet (although that does have its place).  It is also lovely in Butterfly cakes, in a Victoria Sandwich, on bread and butter, on toast, made into an ice cream or to flavour home made yogurt.  There are a myriad of ways of using up this lovely home made preserve.  We are coming into Spring, and a lovely addition to the pantry shelf.  You can also make other flavoured versions as well, such as Orange, mixed fruit etc, Seville Oranges.

I am just delighted that I have been able to use them up without wasting anything (not that they would have been wasted in any event) but they could have been.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. Oooh Lemon Curd, and better still, Lemon Meringue Pie!! Sounds like you have been busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a lovely orange sugar and keep it in a jar ready to bake with.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts