The Seed Box

I have three Trugs stored in the front bedroom and the largest one has the majority of my seeds in it a lot of these are from magazines I have bought. Unfortunately I cannot get in to the front room  at the moment but I do have a stash of seeds in an old shoe box, which when I can get into the front bedroom I will liberate the seeds and put them into this box.









I have in the interim started drafting a seed planting schedule and a plan for the garden.  Not quite there yet, but it is developing.

I also found a stash of Kitchen Garden magazines that I have bought previously and a set of old Kitchen Garden magazines in a binder that used to belong to my dear Dad who was a keen vegetable grower, like my Nan, Grandad and my uncle before him.

 



When we first moved in here 35 years ago, we kept the garden and grew a lot of veggies ourselves.  We used to follow Geoff Hamilton on Gardeners World and I have his book which really is my bible when it comes to gardening.  I also have another book that I use relatively frequently as well but cannot lay my hands on it at the moment. It is basically a gardening book that tells you what to sow, what work to do on the garden, what crops to harvest etc. month by month.  Cannot remember the title but it is a really useful book for a gardening idiot like me. We were not experts but we muddle by.  My father in law used to help out as he loved gardening too.  

OH unfortunately hurt his back at work and was off work for over a year due to discs having collapsed in his lower back, the Doctors thought as a result of him working a lathe for over 25 years, and to work the lathe having to stand in a certain position that it had worn down the discs and he was told he could not work as a Turner anymore.  I did what I could where I could, I was looking after him, working full time, looking after the kids, cooking and cleaning and growing a bit here and there, but really since then he has not been involved in the gardening like he used to be.  I am hoping that this year will change that.  I need his help to clear part of the garden and I certainly want to grow a lot of stuff this year.  I used to have the kids sowing seeds and growing stuff as well, and it has given my step-daughter a life-long passion for gardening.  She is growing stuff in her garden and this year I want to try and help her with the seed sowing as I have the two greenhouses.  I love the growing of plants from nothing.  That is where my real passion is., bringing something on from scratch and nurturing it.

I have a lot of clearing to do in the garden, but until we can get to the tip and clear all the stuff in the garden I am a bit hamstrung.  Hopefully that will change very soon - I am hoping for a bit better weather which would make all the difference to me certainly especially as I cannot bear the cold and get cold very quickly if I do go out.  I love the cold bracing weather my system does not though more's the pity.

So plans at least are starting to stir in Pattypan's garden.  Now it is just a case of bringing them to life.  Wish me luck.

I also need to go to Wilkinsons to see what they have on the gardening front.  I need some stain remover for the washing in any event so will see if I can nip up one day this week and then I can deal with two jobs in one fair swoop.

Catch you later.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts