Things to do Pattypan's Kitchen end of February 2021 to March 2021

Just a resume of some of the things I hope to get made between the end of February and the end of March.  More an aide memoire really for this dizzy duck.  Some of this has already been done but will update later on.

I have some bottoming out in the bathroom and the kitchen to do before I make anything else.

OH is diabetic and as a result he eats pickles like sweeties.  That is why we have been going through so many this year - not that I made big batches this past year.

I just wish I had a really big farmhouse pantry - that would nicely accommodate quite a lot of what I intend on preserving.  I am losing one storage cupboard to kitchen equipment.  Kitchen cabinetry is being replaced - but I have an awful lot of expensive equipment.  So what is now the Jam Pantry (the cupboard under the stairs) is going to be turned into a kitchen equipment storage area.  I am then hopeful to turn the fireside cupboards into a giant store for my bottled goods.  My small pantry off the kitchen (more a dry larder) is full of everything else.

Anyway here is the rough list:

Make more Pickled Cucumber (Bread and Butter Pickle)

Make Beer Mustard wholegrain and smooth.

Make Souper Mix

Make Pickled Eggs

Make Lemon Curd - done

Make more Pickled Red Cabbage

Make Lemon Cordial

Make Orange Curd

Make Dried Orange Slices

Make Orange Jelly

Make Chilli Jelly

Make Chilli Jam

Dry Kale - done

Dry Spinach -done

Dry Frozen Mixed Vegetables - done

Dry Leek

Dry Carrots

Dry Peppers

Dry Fennel

Make mixed summer fruit jam - done

Make more Pickled Beetroot

Make some more Pickled Shallots.  I kept some back and they are still in good condition so as not to waste them am pickling them.

Make some more Pickled Onions.   Ditto

Make Pickled Red Onion for the fridge (short term preserve)

Buy some cooking apples to make new stock of Apple Sauce (water bathing).  5kg purchased to peel and process.

I managed to obtain 7lb of black cherries reduced from the veggie shop yesterday.  I intend to make a small quantity of cherry pie filling

Buy some grapefruit both yellow and red, for bottled grapefruit slices (water bathing)

Make Seville Orange Curd

Make Vin d'Orange

Make Orange marmalade

Make Grapefruit cordial

Make Grapefruit Gin

Make Grapefruit Curd

Make home made mixed peel

Make Bottled Pears

Make Bottled Blueberries - Blueberries in fridge - for Blueberry Muffins and Blueberry Pancakes. I managed to get these cheaply as well.

Make Bottled Pineapple

Make more mincemeat

Some wine kits to use up

Ginger Wine

Rhubarb Wine

Make House Orange Wine

Make House Lemon Wine

Make House Grapefruit Wine


That is quite a bit of stuff.  All of it extremely helpful in providing a good supply of staple items for use through the year.  There is still lots and lots to do.  However, if you get a bargain on something then it would be silly not to take advantage.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x



Update:

Since preparing the above post, I have been to the veg shop on this bright and sunny morning.  I have come home with some absolute bargains.  Four kg of dark black plums destined for jam and chutney, a bag of lemons.  These were £1 a bowl i.e. £5.  I was then offered a large crate of Seville Oranges.  I was asked if I could use them up for £3 the crate and a bottle/jar of Seville Marmalade.  So I snapped their hand off.

My veggie shop offers a bowl (usually about 1kg) of produce that has been on the shelf for sometime.  All are usually in good condition and £1 a bowl  (They are on a large trolley displayed in large bowls).  So if there is anything on offer this is where I tend to buy in bulk.

I also bought a loaf of reduced bread for making plain croutons in the dehydrator.  So things are moving ahead very nicely.

So it looks as though I have more to do than I had planned.

Off to get busy.

PP

Comments

  1. Wow I am impressed. Will look forward to seeing what all gets done. You must have the energy of the Energizer Bunny lol.
    Blessings Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love your well-stocked pantry. I heartily agree with Jean you have so much energy.
    I salute you and all your hard work.
    Kathy x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts