Monday catch up and First Foraging Trip of the Year


This post should have been lodged yesterday.  Unfortunately I was unwell last night again and had to get in touch with medical services via our GP Surgery as I had quite a lot of pain.  They asked a lot of questions and I learned a few things about the medication that I am taking and that I can take a little more if necessary. I had been taking the required dose, but apparently if I have an upset like this I can have a further pill to try and calm things down.  However by the time I got to speak so to someone (within two hours the pain was subsiding.  They were satisfied from my responses that I was on the mend but I have been told that if it gets unbearable again to get right back in touch with them.  I am extremely grateful that I was able to speak to someone to answer my concerns, without necessarily diving in and seeing a Doctor or alternatively turning up at A & E when there is no real need too. I was worried because of the amount of pain, but apparently they think I just suffered a bad Reflux attack.  I have a high pain threshold in any event, but this was a bit unbearable and I did not know where to put myself.  I could not sit comfortably at all.  It is a shame really as I had had such a lovely day

Monday

It has been a beautiful mild day here in Peterborough  A lot warmer than it has been and the bonus is the sun has been out all day.  Various household chores have been accomplished, namely sorting out the washing, getting it dried and starting to tackle the bedding for the caravan, the cushions etc. in readiness for our next excursion.  We have to go to the van soon in any event as it needs a good strip out and cleansing on the inside and out.  

Another issue has also been accomplished we have located a Dentist; a private one, but a Dentist all the same.  D Day is 13 May 2021.  I have a couple of weeks to get used to the idea. Gulp!  OH is coming with me.  He also has an appointment guess who he has sent in first!

We have walked her Highness, Missy this afternoon.  It has been a lovely walk.  The birds were singing their hearts out, it was lovely and quiet nobody else about down by the river. Missy also had her first paddle of the year!  Guess who got wet on the way home.  By way of explanation, Missy when she travels in the car is usually sat on my lap so she can see where we are going! 

The other day when we went out I noticed a big patch of nettles nowhere near where anyone was walking and so today I went with my barest of foraging kits a small pair of scissors, a carrier bag and a rubber glove.  We were proposing dealing with nettles and so precaution is better than cure.

So today, therefore I have had my first foraging trip of the year.  I have a bag full of nettles, to be dried.  However, I also have plans to make nettle beer and nettle wine and maybe some nettle cordial.   

I also found some Sticky Willy  I  love that name more commonly known as  (Goosegrass/Cleavers),  I am also going to dry this.  From what I remember it is good at cleaning the blood  There are plenty of both where I have been today, so will go back another day once I have processed what I have found today.  I am in my element when I am foraging.  There is so much growth in the hedgerows sprouting and full of promise for the days to come.

On the way home I asked OH if he knew of anywhere that had wild garlic growing.  He did not know but suspected an area nearer to home in some woodland, and so we decided to stop and have a look.  To start with did not find anything at all, but then I located a reasonable sized patch of this, and so have come back with a good few handfuls to process.  Yet again we can always go back another day so I will end up with double the pleasure.  I also found a bigger patch of Sticky Willy/Cleavers/Goosegrass whichever name you know them by near the wild garlic patch.

I am looking forward to playing with these and finding different ways of preserving them as I have not done much with these in the past.

I also may have to go on a Dandelion hunt another day.  There are a couple of recipes I want to test out on these as well.

I am very much looking forward to many more foraging trips this year, especially the Elderflower for Elderflower Champagne and Cordial.  There is also the Hawthorn Blossom (May) which can be used as well.

I will update later today on what has been happening today.

Catch you all soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. Sorry to hear you have been in such pain, and glad that you got some advice and know what to do next time. Scary all the same though.

    Glad you were able to go foraging and had some fresh air at the same time. Looking forward to seeing the results of your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from Canada! I am actually from Peterborough Ontario! Enjoyed reading about your foraging. My nettles and dandelions are just starting to pop up. I make an anti inflammatory tea blend so I'm looking forward to getting these two additions dried and into the mix.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts