Sunday Potterings

 I initially woke at 6:00am and listened to the birds before being lulled back to sleep.  The sun was starting to creep in at 6:00am.  Eventually woke up at 9:00am and the sun was a lot stronger by then.  It was warm, the birds were singing their hearts out and it was quiet.  No noise from people at all just quiet.  It was lovely.  I was comfortable and it was a privilege to be in that moment without it being spoilt at all,  A time to smell the roses I believe is the quote often used.  Not that we have any roses at the moment but they are on the ever growing list.

Precious time without any disturbance.  Then OH woke up and someone started work with a drill in another household.  It shattered the moment.  Its at times like this that I want to be back in either a tiny village or a hamlet where the real world cannot impinge as much and you have the time and space to find your own peace and quiet and own quiet retreat.   I am a country girl at heart and would jump at the chance of moving back into a small village.  I suppose it is what you are used to but it does suit me better.  

I cooked OH his breakfast a fry up.  I did not fancy much but I did have a chipolata bun with some ketchup which was enough for me.  I am also drinking a lot more water.

From there OH decided that we needed compost and some planters.  I had mentioned the other day that I could not plant the trees on until I had the same.  So off I went.  Round Home Bargains which was a first.  They have only just moved to the City and started trading earlier this year.  I was quite surprised with the prices.  Reminded me a bit of a cross between B & M and Lidl/Aldi.  Had quite a lot of food items which seem to have been very reasonably priced.  I would like to go back when it is a bit quieter and have a better look around but I did like what I saw.

Managed to get seven planters for the trees, I have two black cherry, two plum and a pear, cherry and apple trees.  The planters are large black ones (I normally go for terracotta if I can but they did not have any this size in that colourway).  I looked at the compost but it was only sold in small bags and I would need a bag and a half for each pot.  I am hoping OH will take me to B & Q to actually get the larger sacks of compost which I normally use.

The prices were extremely good on soap powder and conditioners including the large square tubs of conditioner which I normally get from the cash and carry for under £5.  There is quite a lot of fabric conditioner in there and it normally lasts a good while.  I have picked up a pack of the Surf Coconut double pods for washing.  Yet again this was under a fiver.

Whilst there I had a look at their plant area which did not seem too bad.  I found trays of 10 violas at £1.49 per pack of 10.  I came away with four packs.  They will come in very handy for crystallised flowers for cakes and also for popping into ice cubes to fancy them up a bit for those long cool summer drinks such as Pimms.




There is so much you can do with edible flowers and herbs that so many people do not know about.  Everyone knows about Elderflower cordial but you can also make rose petal syrup/cordial and also honeysuckle syrup/cordial.  There are a myriad of uses as well.  We all think that syrups in coffees are the in thing, but they have been around in many forms for many years.  Often they were used as essences, or used to pour on cakes or even when diluted with water the precursor of the common squash that we consume in copious quantities.  I have quite a few older recipes and newer ones that I have collected along the way.  However getting to some of my books at the moment is night on an impossibility however I will keep working at finding them.

Tonight we are having a small joint (for us) of pork; the loin cut.  It looks rather yummy and I have prepared roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, Kale, peas, carrots and broccoli.  I was going to do cabbage as it goes so well with pork but the Kale needed using up first.  As I have said before I am not one to waste anything.  We also have pork and sage and onion stuffing with lots of gravy to go with.  







Pudding is a small apple and blackberry pie with either custard or cream.  




Now I shall be stuffed however I am going carefully on amount. A little of everything for me but not in great quantities.

Tea was extremely scrummy and the best news is there is enough left for tomorrow night's tea.  Just have to cook fresh veg.  Will probably have cabbage tomorrow.  We had pudding with custard in the end.

i hope everyone has had a lovely day.

It is an early start for us again tomorrow as OH has to go to the Doctors first thing.

Right am off to potter.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts