Busy in the Kitchen

Over the past few days things have been all systems go in the kitchen.  I am still processing lots of goodies for the Pantry shelf.

As I have been busy in the kitchen OH has ordered take away in from Bone Jam which is run by Chiquitas at Hampton who predominantly sell ribs..  He ordered something called poppers, which basically are a soft cheese stuffed Jalapeno chilli which is served with a Jalapeno jelly.  I am cautious on all fronts concerning Chillies but I absolutely love these poppers and the Jalapeno sauce.  When I find food that is tasty and I enjoy I look around for recipes to see if I can have a go at making my own.  Well not quite the stuffed chillies yet but that will be next.  As I am in preserving mode I have found a recipe for the Jalapeno Jelly which I want to try out.  I have lots of sweet peppers inhouse at the moment as I managed to buy quite a few in and yesterday I tried another recipe out for pickling them but more on them in another post.

I nipped up to Waitrose today as I had lost my ginger.  I do not know where it is I have looked high and low and was unable to find it.  This is needed for another project so I had to go in any event.  There were Jalapeno chillies on the shelf so I took that as serendipity confirming that I should make the Jalapeno jelly.

I have been making a lot of jellies this week.  I made  Crab Apple Jelly earlier in the week.  I am part way through making Quince Jelly, I have plum jelly to make and now I have Jalapeno Jelly. 

Today as well I happened upon the first of the Cranberries in Waitrose.  £2 a punnet same price as last year.  I have bought four punnets home as I have some apples the Howgate Wonder which I am going to make my Cranberry and Apple Jelly.  So well chuffed with this little find.  I will buy more as we use a lot of Cranberry and Apple jelly in any one year and there are some other preserves that I want to have a go at in the run up before Christmas.  I love it when I can play with new recipes in the kitchen.

So a separate post will follow on the jelly making and what I have been up to.

So as I say it is all hands on in the kitchen at the moment, and I still have loads of other stuff to do including other chutneys, salsa, bottled tomatoes, bottled pears, fruit salad, pear butter, apple butter, pear sauce, pear and ginger jam etc. etc.

I also managed to get some dried Apricots today so that will be a batch of the Delia Orange and Apricot chutney to happen as well.  Also managed to get some dried figs.  I use these in an accompaniment to the cheese board and so am glad to have found these.

I have also bought another net of the Italian Chestnuts so that will be a double batch of the Marrons Glace to make.  Over the next few weeks I shall gather together different whole nuts as at Christmas I do love a proper large nut bowl to crack open the nuts after Christmas Dinner.  Buying a little and often helps keep the purse under control a bit and you end up with the ingredients you want rather than lose out in the rush before Christmas.

Right I have 101 things waiting for me.  What have you been up to in your kitchen yet in preparation for filling your pantry and also making sure you have choice ingredients available in time for the festive season.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

  1. Don't work yourself too hard Tricia. That sounds an awful lot to be getting on with.

    Enjoy that takeaway too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BB, For once I am trying to be sensible. I have been trying to prep a jelly once a day for the following day as well as do a couple of other things. Today have managed to do the Quince Jelly, the Christmas Chutney but have not prepped up the Plum Jelly tonight as I need fresh jelly nets so tonight is a night off. Will probably do that in the morning once the nets are fresh. I have Membrillo to do tomorrow was too tired to do it tonight. If I get over tired things tend to go wrong, so for once in my life I am trying to be good. (My halo fell off round my ankles). The Takeaway was lovely. Tricia xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts