Ratatouille Chutney

I was browsing my Christmas magazines from years' past when I came across this recipe in the Good Homes Ultimate Christmas for 2017,which sounds good on paper and which ingredients are relatively easy for me at the moment to obtain.  It sounds a nice easy recipe and so I thought I would share just in case any of you have any ingredients hanging around and want to use them up. I know that a lot of you grow your own veggies, equally people like myself who do not grow their own are often happy to source the ingredients from either a market or a shop or like myself a veg shop.  I have not made this before so it is a new to me recipe.  


Ratatouille Chutney

Ingredients:

750g mixed red peppers, courgettes and aubergines chopped (about one of each)

250g of tomatoes chopped

2 red onions chopped

1 Bramley Apple peeled, cored and chopped

1 Red Chilli seeded and chopped

175g light brown muscovado sugar

250ml of cider vinegar

1 teaspoon of mustard seeds

1 teaspoon of fennel or coriander seeds

2 teaspoons of sweet smoked paprika

1 teaspoon of salt

(Makes approximately 4 medium sized jars)

(The article does not give credit as to the author of the recipe).


Method:

1.  Place the chopped mixed vegetables, apple and chilli in a large pan and stir in the sugar, vinegar, herbs and then the spices and salt.


2.  Cook gently on the hob, stirring until the sugar dissolves.  Bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 20 minutes until the chutney thickens and the vegetables are lovely and tender.


3.  Cool slightly before spooning into sterilised jars, put on lids and then seal down tightly.

Recommended to serve with a cheeseboard, but I am thinking meats as well here.

I have quite a bit of preserving planned for the next few days. I have added other items to the list as I have come across them but more on that in future posts.

I always keep Chutneys at least six weeks to ensure that the vinegar settles and mellows.  Sometimes if you use it earlier there is still a strong vinegary taste which often can put people off the chutney.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts