Recipes and Links for Pickling, Chutneys and other Preserves Part One

I thought I would share some of the recipes I use for preserving, just in case some of  you would like to have a go.  All standard preserving practicalities like sterilising your jars either in boiling water, the oven or in the dishwasher I would advocate as necessary.  It is something I do as a standard practice.  Despite the regulations changing which are not so strict I would rather be safe than sorry.



1. Spiced Pickled Oranges

I have been making spiced orange rings for years and it is one of my mainstays.  They can be used as a pickle in their own right, however I tend to use them to decorate the outside of a ham or gammon before putting a glaze on and then caramelising in the oven.  A few years ago I did actually put the recipe up on the blog and the link and recipe is below.

Pickled Spiced Orange Slices




2. Pickled Red Cabbage

Pickled Red Cabbage

Pickled Red Cabbage 2

OH is fond of this, although I must say in the winter months if you add some of the pickled cabbage to fresh leaves it looks quite festive and fresh and I will eat it this way.  I like cabbage raw.

3. Pickled Eggs

This is also for OH as he enjoys these as well.  Not really my thing.  From experience I would say from the people I know it tends to be the men that gravitate towards them, especially if they have had a pint.




4. Pickled Cucumber

This is for OH as well.  He eats these like sweeties.



5. Pickled Shallots

We both love these.





6. Pickled Onions

And these.




7. Green Tomato Chutney

Green Tomato Chutney

I love Green Tomato Chutney.  Love this with Pork Pies, or a Ploughman's salad.  Also good with Beefburgers.


8. Bread and Butter Pickles

Pickled Cucumber 2

This is the second version of the Pickled Cucumbers I do for OH.




Long Keeping Mint Sauce


Some very useful additions for my pantry shelf.  It is not everything have had to split into a second post which will follow in a day or two.  However needless to say the work continues.

I had to nip into town today to get some more lids.  I was only able to buy 3 x 12 = 36 lids but better than nothing at all. They are supposed to have a delivery next week so will go back and hopefully get some more then.

 I hope the links help.

Catch you later.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts