Update on the Preserving

Thought would give an update as to how I have managed to progress during the past week and also on the additions I have added to the list. Bearing all of that in mind here are my plans for this week on the preserving front. Running Friday to Friday.  I find these lists helpful in that they keep me on track with what I need to do.  I am keen to get as much done as I can as we are hoping to go away again before Christmas so want as much as I can get processed done and out of the way with.

  1. The Cucumbers need to be turned into Bread and Butter Pickle Preserves.  OH eats these like sweeties.
  2. Four Boxes of eggs need boiling, cooling, peeling and then added to jars and spiced white vinegar added.
  3. Eating apples to be turned into Apple Butter, and Dried Apple Rings.  Going to use the slow cooker or cookers for doing the Apple Butter and the apple rings will also go into the dehydrator.
  4. Naval oranges to be turned into Spiced Pickled Orange Rings. I use these to decorate the top of a Gammon or Ham with a glaze on top.  Any syrup left over as it is a vinegar syrup can be used as a Winter salad dressing.  I make it shelf stable by hot water bathing in my baby steriliser.
  5. Two kilos of Pickling Onions need to be prepared by being peeled, brined and then jarred with vinegar and whole spices being added before the lid goes on.
  6. Two large bowls of Sweet Italian Peppers.  Some are headed for Chilli jam, some for Chilli jelly and hopefully some pickled peppers. I also hope to source some more to be dehydrated
  7. Fresh Chillies bought for Chilli jam and jelly.
  8. Home made Mincemeat.
  9. Home made Christmas cakes.
  10. Home made Christmas puddings.
  11. Another Two kilos of pickling onions.  They were getting low at the Veg shop so I decided to err on the side of caution. I have ordered Shallots but it depends whether they will be able to get them as supply is more than hit and miss at the moment.
  12. Two bags of Kale to dry in the dehydrator. I will look out for Spinach and other leaves during the week as well also for drying.
  13. Two packs of peeler oranges to be turned into Sweet Pickled Orange (Clementine, Satsuma etc) Rings 12 small oranges. They were reduced to 88p per pack from £1.50 each.
  14. Four extremely large Leeks.  One of which is destined for stews, casseroles etc.  I intend to dehydrate the rest as they are useful to add to nice hot meals straight from the pantry shelf during the winter months and it is a way of getting veg into us in a slightly different format.
I am still looking out for the following:

Apples generally, and if I can get them reduced I will buy them up as apples have become very expensive.

Have bought Bramley Apples for making the Mincemeat.  Other items will buy for recipes.

Have bought some Russett apples some for eating some for preserving.  They are very tasty but were expensive.

The same goes for Tomatoes. i.e. will buy reduced if I can. I may have to go up to the main market in town.

Bramley apples for chutneys, apple sauce, pie filling etc.

Peaches for bottling and for jam.

Mixed fruit for bottling, apple, pear, peach, grape white and black, pineapple and cocktail or Maraschino cherries.  

Red Cabbage for Pickling.  Bought two cabbages and these have since been salted, rinsed then pickled and jarred in spiced white vinegar.   xx  Jars out of the two cabbages.

Lemons for Spiced Lemon Rings and Lemon Slices for adding to drinks.  If I can get them reduced at the veg shop all the better.  I also need Lemons for Lemon Vinegar cleaner.  Managed to get two bowls at £1 per bowl.  Need to buy more vinegar though as quite a few  more preserves to make than first anticipated.

More Pickling Onions.

Courgettes, Aubergines to be used in the Ratatouille Chutney.

More Red Peppers for Pickled Peppers.

Pears for Bottled Pears and also Pear Chutney and Pear Butter.  Have bought 1kg of Pears these are destined for Pear Butter.  Will buy in others as can.

Dark Plums for Chinese Plum Sauce and for bottling.

Shall be looking out for Cranberries too.  Although these normally arrive for the beginning of November.  Need to make a year's worth of Cranberry Sauce and maybe some Cranberry jelly. Will depend on what comes in.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan
x

Comments

Popular Posts