A trip to the Veg Shop and a bit of crafting

I nipped over to see what they had available this afternoon.  Sometimes they have a bargain and another time not.  Have managed to pick up a nice large cabbage and cauliflower, as well as a couple of large leeks, some Persimmons/Sharon Fruit, some more of the Howgate Wonder Cooking apples and that was my lot for today.  I will however, be ordering in a sack of potatoes and also a net of Red Onions and White onions for general every day use so that we have basic ingredients to hand to sort a meal from.  I have a tray of eggs as they were bought earlier today.

The leeks are destined for Leek and Potato soup, cabbage and cauliflower to accompany tomorrow night's Roast Pork, the Persimmons to be turned into Persimmon Jelly and the Apples I think am going to make some more Apple Sauce with or some Apple Butter.  So plenty to be going on with as usual. I am keen to make the most of anything that is coming my way.

This evening I have been able to put my feet up and put some serious effort into a project I have recently started.  It involves knitting, but I am going to be doing this in dribs and drabs where I can, so feasibly it will not be finished until next year.  It is something for me, and when I get on with it a  bit more I will pop up a post about it. Knitting is my nemesis and I am eager to get to grips with it.  However, I am not sure how much time and attention I am going to be able to give this project at the moment, but even now I am feeling the benefit in that it is keeping my hands supple.  It has a slight pattern to it, and is using some Aran wool I inherited from my mum.  I do not want to waste this precious yarn, and if I get on well with knitting this, then I am hoping to make more in due course. I am choosing plain cream Aran for this project and any subsequent follow up projects or changes in main colour scheme means that something hard knitted still works and still goes and is still useful. I think that the plain cream will blend in well with a lot of the other items I have drawn together as it is neutral. I am enjoying it though, and it is something I can take to the caravan with me when I go again as it is reasonably portable and not cumbersome to take backwards and forwards.  Obviously will take other projects too, but as is my usual way I plan and make things for a future make-over assembling the items as I go until I am happy with the blend and then I implement the changes.

On the knitting front it is teaching me patience, and how to pull down stitches when I have gone wrong. Which is getting less of an occurrence but still infuriating when it does.  They say you learn by your mistakes!  It is also helping me work out from the stitches I have to hand as to where I am as well as to memorising the simple pattern two row pattern.  The item is being worked in Moss Stitch which I believe is also referred to as Seed Stitch in the USA. I have worked out that the last stitch in a row if it is a purl means that it will be a purl stitch as the first stitch on the next row.  I am also using a circular needle which is also a learning experience in its own right as I have never used one before. I think I am getting there and the last stitch of the second row will be the same as the first stitch of the two patterned row. i.e. first row K1, P1.  Second row P1, K1.

So a learning  curve all the way down the line for me, but I am determined to get to grips with my nemesis.

Catch you later.

Pattypan

xx

Comments

  1. A good haul from the greengrocers.

    Enjoy your knitting (haven't knitted anything for about 4 years now). I always enjoyed Moss Stitch and it's a pretty pattern when knitted up. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts