Sunday Roundup

 Yesterday I was not with it at all; lethargic and off colour in the end I gave myself some time and just sat and did a little knitting rather than what I should have been; but hey these things are sent to try us. I also did some research on some new to me recipes as well.  Things I plan to have a go at in due course.

Researching new things and trying new recipes has for me been a key thing this year; I have done more of this than I usually do and to tell the truth I have enjoyed it and intend to incorporate what I have learned into my yearly and seasonal routines.

The day started off with me witnessing Missy giving her Dad some love which I think is beautifully represented in this photo.




It has been a bitterly cold day today as I found out when I went out to put out the tea towels as I had run out of clean ones.  I have a big stack of tea towels that I go through quite quickly.  I have found that I still need to hand-wash stuff despite having the dishwasher.  A lot of my more fragile china goes nowhere near the dishwasher nor does my vintage pottery.  So tea towels are a must.

I have done a bit better today and even made sausage rolls!  OH was not expecting so made a nice surprise for him.  Needless to say the ones I gave him soon disappeared.  There are still a few left.  I managed to get 10 large sausage rolls out of 1 pack of sausage meat and 1 pack of a pack of two puff pastry so I did not do too badly.






Tea tonight has been a pork loin joint served with roast potatoes, shredded cabbage, carrots, peas, broccoli and Kale with home made sage and onion sausage stuffing with lots of gravy. Lots of lovely green veggies today.  They were super nice from the veg shop, and a good hot meal never hurt anyone.



I did the same with the pork joint i.e. bunged the roasties in some pork dripping with a little gravy, until the roasties were cooked, then I added a couple of packs of lard so that I end up with pork dripping for doing potatoes etc in the weeks to come.  The fat is then drained off leaving the meat juices, which I use to make the main gravy.




Tea was extremely delicious though  Served it with petit-pois, shredded steamed cabbage, Kale, Carrots, Broccoli, Roast potatoes and stuffing with lots of gravy.  Went down very nicely.



I also stocked up on some more items today for the Pantry shelf this time from the Asian shop.  I have been looking for Rose Water for sometime and eventually today I managed to locate some.  I use this in home made Turkish Delight Rose Flavour but also Creme De Menthe, which I have in the cupboard in any event.



I also located brown mustard seeds which I need for a mixed seed mustard, the first of a couple of mustards I will be making.  So four small bags of the mustard seeds came home with me as well.




I also bought some more fresh ginger which I use quite a bit.  I have a couple of things in particular which I want to start off this week using the ginger.  This ginger is a lot plumper than the ginger I have been able to get hold of recently.



I also managed to get my two nets of onions, mostly for general cooking, making French onion soup, and using in some preserves.

Next on the list I need two trays of eggs this week for pickling some eggs and also baking and cooking.

It is going to be quite a busy on the preserving front this week which is planned mostly for the evenings so that I can get on with stuff during the day.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x




.


Comments

Popular Posts