Just a festive round up!


Things are a bit busy here as normal.  Turkey, Rib of Beef and sausage-meat etc. collected from the Butcher's yesterday together with the Turkey for Daughter and Rib of Beef for son.  Some shopping accomplished on the food front, although not everything and I may have to nip out tomorrow or Friday to get a few more bits.  Must say that the Butcher's was very well organised.  They had closed their Cafe in order to facilitate the collections in order that the main shop was not impacted.  Worked very well as we were then able to go around the main shop without it being overly packed with customers. We picked up a few extra bits and have some good eating to come.  As always though we will be sensible and a lot of cold cuts will be had.  I will make a lot of stuff myself such as potato salad, tomato and onion salad, mayonnaise, coleslaw, quiche (I have a Leek and Mushroom one planned a nice deep dish one) as I have plenty of cheese in the fridge with more to come.  Just need to get some antipasti cured meats.

The fridge has been sorted out and all new items incarcerated including the Turkey, Beef and other trimmings.  Just have to top up on a few more veggies and we should be there.

OH will have to wait in tomorrow as he is expecting some deliveries. Pork pies, (next year will make my own as have been taught), A Cheese box with various cheeses in from The Fine Cheese Company.  We used them last year and we are always pleased with their products.  We are also waiting for some Custard Apples to arrive as well. (all have now arrived).

I hate going out food shopping at this time of year, which is another reason why I try and limit things where I can and get as much stuff in beforehand.  This year though I have been frustrated by not being able to do so and so needs must and all that jazz.  If I need to go out, it is just quick designated stops early morning like M & S and Waitrose.  At least I got all my pickles, jams, chutneys and preserves squirrelled away; however there is always room for improvement in what is popped away and what is made.  Next year like every year is going to be different.  I am always chopping and changing things so that I can get the best out of things on management, time and produce. 

Today I have been shopping fortunately I picked my time well before the hoards descended, however at the end of the day I only bought a few bits home.  I have opted to buy the ingredients so that I can make what I want in the way of baking and also making my own potato salad, tomato and onion salad, Couscous, Leek and Mushroom Quiche, Mayonnaise, Cheese straws etc.  Not that we really have much choice on shops, many of the shops down Bridge Street in Peterborough (top end) seem to have gone for one reason or another, and other shops have moved into the Queensgate Centre.

Next year's preserving officially starts on 1 January 2022!  I usually start of by preserving any fruit left over from Christmas, little mandarins or Clementine's can be hot water bath processed either whole or in slices, any Cranberries can be cooked into sauce or water bathed yet again for longer storage on the pantry shelf. Curds can be made out of oranges or lemons.  Bananas can be turned into banana bread.  So there is always something to be doing or to make the most of.

I have the baking to do tomorrow which again is another long family tradition always done on Christmas Eve. I have sausage rolls to make, mince pies, coconut cheesecakes, lemon curd and jam tarts, Milles Feuilles scones, Rock buns, Butterfly cakes and a couple of sponge cakes (one of which is going to be turned into a Mandarin and Chocolate style gateau) as well as shortbread. Of course we also have the Yule Log and the Christmas Cake, Dundee Cake and Stollen.  So plenty to go at as it will predominantly pick and mix for about four to five days although sides like Bubble n Squeak are a favourite to serve with cold meats as well.

So a lot of work, but slowly getting there.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. Oh Pattypan! How lush! Thanks for such a delicious, festive post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you K, it was delicious xx Hope you had a lovely Christmas too and Happy New Year x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts