Cats Cradle to Spaghetti Junction

Due to where some of my crafting items have been stored for sometime, some of the materials have become a little grubby.  I recently located some more wool for some ongoing projects and so in the first instance I have bunged them in the washing machine and they have come up spotless.  The only trouble is that the wool de-skeins in the washing machine so it needs re-winding.  When I think of re-wnding I have fond memories of helping Mum out when it came to winding wool which was often sold in skeins when I was small and so I used to have to sit on a stool with arms apart with the wool stretched between the two and mum would wind the wool  up.  It didn't half hurt on the arms and the times my poor little arms sagged!  I tended to be used as I kept still much better and mum used to be able to get a wriggle on with the winding of the wool.

This is the Cat's Cradle Spaghetti Junction of a mess I started off with.







OH was a little gob-smacked that I stayed put for two hours plus trying to sort this little mess out; but I did it and that is another UFO project that is all sorted to now commence with.  No impediments.

Why have I spent so much time in sorting this.  Consumables for crafting with are if they are a kit designated colours and materials. What is the point of wasting something without attempting to clean it up.  Sometimes things just need gentle hand washing another time the assistance of a washing machine.  I always try these methods first and if they do not come up well I will either discard or re-source new materials or similar materials if I can.  I do not give in easily nor necessarily take the easy way out of doing something.  I am a little tight when it comes to the purse strings in these respects the same as when it comes to getting as much out of the food I buy and cook as I can. Not necessarily time efficient, but it is reclaiming something that is not necessarily lost.  I remember years ago my mum knitting herself a woollen suit and myself.  She outgrew her suit and as it had been an expensive wool for the time, she pulled it all down, washed it and then re-purposed it, some of which wool I turned into a scarf many years later with the remnants.  So materials and items if stored properly can last a life-time.

So the following night, I decided to repeat the process mad fool that I am.  Why, well I managed to locate the missing wool for my knitted blanket, which had come to a full stop as a result of running out of wool.  Fortunately yesterday I was happy to find it and so it was bunged in the washing machine and the same process ensued.  This was much more of a Cats Cradle/Spaghetti junction.  This time round instead of a 100g ball of wool I am dealing with 400g of wool.  




Needless to say after a couple of hours last night, I am still a long way off managing to get this all re-wound.  It is the perfect match for my blanket though and for that I am extremely pleased.  Once all this is re-wound, I will then be able to set about re-knitting the blanket again.  Not that there has not been any knitting going on inbetween times of my jumper, but that is for another post.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. Before any sort of work (washing/dyeing/storage) the skeins should be tied round at regular intervals with scrap yarn in a figure of eight loop - the more ties the better. They will remain tangle free; not only helps with the winding, but puts less strain on the wool/yarn from pulling and stretching as you try to untangle it. If you don't possess a swift for winding, loop the skein around the back of a chair HTH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs L, thank you for that, will make sure that I do that next time. I have another 400g ball to do on top of this one as well. Knitting and wool very much a learning curve for me although my Mum always knitted and I picked up bits I am by no means proficient. Thank you once again Tricia x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts