Clementines in syrup




I have on and off over the years made these oranges for the pantry shelf.  They make a nice change on the winter tea table.  This year I did not manage to get any prepared, but as I am still able to get hold of small Clementines I am choosing to make some more to probably take me through to the autumn when the new stocks come in.  Also with fruit having gone up so much in recent months, if  you have any that need using up, it is a way of getting the most for your money and preparing for tomorrow without wasting anything.

You can segregate the segments if you wish, but I tend to keep mine whole.  I had been laboriously peeling the Clementines by hand (which I think you need to do in any event).  Then I stumbled upon the Pectolase method and I must say that also helps.  I do wash the Clementines though after they have been standing in the Pectolase.  Links are below for the sake of completeness. (Pectolase is used in winemaking and usually Wilkos have this in on their wine making section alternatively it can be sourced online).

This project when I first started having a go at these was very much a test situation for me, but it does work.  I hope you would agree that my Clementines look really good considering that they were preserved at home.  The key is to take your time as the pith is fiddly to remove.   I used a small paring knife for this purpose.  The pith is best removed as it is very bitter.



Here are links to my previous posts.  Please read all the posts together as they were dealt with as an experiment and I learned as I went along.  I am not sure I have numbered them in their correct order.


Bottling Clementines 1

Bottling Clementines 2

Bottling Clementines 3



Hope this inspires you to have a go.

Catch you later.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts