Making the most of the Equipment I have Part One - The Hotpoint Steam Blender

 


I have had this piece of equipment for quite a few years, about six years I think all told.  I am not sure whether it is still available.  I have periodically  used it.  It is a fantastic piece of equipment, sturdy and efficient and makes excellent soups, steams veggies, baby food can be made in bulk and frozen or made fresh and stored in the fridge, crushes ice, makes lovely smoothies most things you can do with a normal blender, however this one steams as well so is very efficient "one pot" cooking, which saves on the washing up, and power costs.  Something I think that all of us are going to have to take into consideration when we cook at home for the foreseeable future.

However for the sake of ease and time constraints many of us these days just grab a pack of this or that, especially when we are in a hurry from food sections of well known stores or supermarkets.  One of my weaknesses is Carrot and Swede Crush which I will readily admit to buying from M & S.  This is the only one I will buy as it has so much more flavour than others I have tried so far.  I went to go and purchase a couple of packs just before Christmas and decided that £3.75 for a small carton x one  was not realistic and that I was not going to pay that for a small tub of veggies.  Yes veggies have gone up to what they were but still represent something that is good to eat and good for making a meal go further by padding out a small amount of meat, as well as in stews, casseroles, soups, pie fillings etc. Veggies really are the mainstay of any meal whether you eat meat or do not. I do tend to keep a lot of my green leafed veggies in the fridge as I have found that they last longer that way on.  Root veggies tend to be kept on the veg rack in the pantry under the stairs.  Which reminds me, I will have to purchase another sack of potatoes this week as we have gone all the way through the sack I bought a few weeks ago.

Carrot and Swede Crush is therefore in my household something that is going to be stockpiled in the freezer.  If you freeze it during the winter months and keep enough in stock you will have enough to see you through the Spring and Summer months, before refreshing again with the new season's root stock.  If you make it at home from fresh ingredients it means you can keep an eye on the budget by sourcing veggies that have been reduced if you can, and which have more flavour in what  you have acquired or grown and put something filling, tasty and good for you on your plate.  No added in bits just pure veg, which will also ultimately help you keep an eye on your weight too. It can also be used to make baby food, and then frozen in batches.

I have been good over Christmas, I have had a few sweets, but I have for the best part cut down drastically.  I have enjoyed what I have had though without feeling the need for more.  I am aware that I need to keep an eye on my weight because of the operation I have to have and if I can lose some more weight prior to that event happening all well and good.  However I am not going to typically diet, just watch what I eat a bit more and veggies for me will play a part in this.  I also want to make sure that I have something midday other than a sandwich.  I like bread home made preferably, OH is Diabetic and I am trying to restrict his bread intake so I am not buying as much bread as I used to.  I would like to get into the habit of making bread probably every other day or to accompany something that is planned for a meal.  Trouble is he is not keen on home made bread despite me having some successes. 

Carrot Crush

It is quite easy to make with this particular gadget and takes about 25 minutes all in to cook and process before it can be placed on your plate.  It can however be made by steaming the veggies until they are cooked in a steamer over a conventional saucepan filled with water and then either popped into a liquidiser or food processor or immersion blender.

I basically take equal amounts of carrot and swede and then add to the blender goblet of the machine.  I then cook them for about 20 minutes until cooked.  I add no extra water in or liquid as the veggies cook they will produce enough moisture.  Once cooked, they are then blitzed up in the blender.  I usually add a small knob of butter to this and then serve it with your chosen dish.

Sometimes we have equipment to hand that we do not always appreciate has far more capacity for doing certain things than we at first see.  However, with playing around and getting to know your piece of equipment comes an awareness as to potential and also for me experimentation as to what I actually cook with that particular piece of equipment. Some equipment is more efficient than others.

I am keen on saving money wherever I can, and doing this at home saves a lot plus you have the knowledge as to source of vegetables and no nasties.

I am afraid that I will have to post the photos later today for some unknown reason they are taking an age to download again.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Update:

I think the Lakeland Soup Maker is very similar to the Hotpoint Steam Blender link is here Lakeland Digital Soup Maker | Lakeland Lakeland Soup Maker






Today I have had the most delicious Broccoli and Blue Cheese Soup for my dinner.  All I did was to pop some sorry looking Broccoli and stem which had been in the fridge in the goblet, some carrot and some onion and then steam cooked the veggies.  I then added once cooked a small quantity of milk and a thin wedge of Danish Blue cheese which also needed using up and cooked this for a further 5 minutes.  I then blitzed it with the liquidiser part.  The beauty of home made is that you can make an extremely creamy soup with no bits in or a soup with a little texture.  If using Blue cheese remember that it is a bit saltier than a cheddar say, so do not add any salt to the soup else it will be too salty.

I must say that I was very pleased with the results. Just using up bits and bobs makes lovely simple meals for next to nothing and doesn't waste a thing.  You can always add your home made green powders to soups like this for extra flavour or a little dried Kale so you get your vitamins.  Also a good way of getting veggies into children without them realising.  


The soup was delicious and very filling.

PP

Comments

Popular Posts