Using up what is in the Fridge, Pigs in Blankets and Pumpkin

There are always things that do not get used over the Christmas period and fortunately for me there is not too much stuff, but there is still enough.

I have pigs in blankets and some pumpkin that needs using up immediately.  There are a few more bits and bobs in there too but for tonight, I am concentrating on the above.



The pigs in blankets are cooking and will be once cooled kept in the fridge and kept for nibbles for His Highness probably for tomorrow evening.  Well that was the general idea.  I thought I had some sausages, but it would appear that someone has already used them up.

So a quick change of plan for tea tonight and the pigs in blankets have now become the main course but cooked in a Toad, served with mashed potato, finely shredded cabbage and gravy.  It is cold out there this evening after being milder and I think this will do the trick.  I am craving comfort food at the moment for whatever reason.  I had contemplated cooking some pumpkin to go with the Toad, but have gone for the shredded, steamed and buttered cabbage instead.



This time round I have added lots of white pepper to the batter as well as mixed herbs.  Sometimes I also add chopped onion as well.

We have new next door neighbours.  The wife has very little English but we had their cultural music going on full blast last night from about 11:00pm until 10:00am this morning. It would keep stopping for a while and then off they would go again together with raising the volume and banging around in the back room.  The noise travelled up the wall where my bedhead is.  Lets just say our music tastes are very different.  I am sure that they kept the rest of the street up as well.  I therefore managed to get very little sleep and am a bit crotchety today as a result.  I am not amused!




Anyway back to the cooking.

I also have four pumpkins that need using up.  Once the Toad in the Hole are out of the way with, I shall pop one of the smaller pumpkins into the oven and leave it to roast.  Will then make some creamed pumpkin and chilli soup for lunches or starters during the week.  It is me I think at the end of the day that craves the veggies and not so fatty stuff.  I am quite happy with a bowl of soup.

Tomorrow I am cooking the Beef Rib Roast joint so I think there will be at least a couple of meals out of that and some Beef stock to boot.

Every little thing helps to keep us fed, it is just sometimes you have to be inventive and try a different variation on things.  It works if you have similar or same ingredients it is just up to you to put a twist on it.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts