Yesterday

 It has been a sunny cold day and we woke up to a heavy hoar frost.  At 1pm the roofs on the houses where I live were still well rimed up with frost.  Nevertheless it has been lovely to see the sun even if only for a short while, but it always lends a different complexion to what is going on.  For me it is cheerful and represents warmth.

It has been a pottering kind of day.  I am trying to use up stocks of stuff I have in house and where possible turn them into preserves for the pantry shelf.  Using the Clementines in this way adds something to the Pantry shelf, making the most of what I have, preparing for tomorrow and not wasting anything.  I am also using up what is actually in the fridge as well.



We also popped up a scuttle full of Welsh Rarebit for OH to dip into as and when he wants.  This is a short term preserve that is kept in the fridge.  Usually will keep for just over a week (not that it ever lasts that long), but is easy enough for himself to grab a snack if he needs one.  He has a big appetite;  I alas do not.





I also have a couple of projects that I hope to carry out over the next few days.  Another batch of yogurt needs to be made.  I make plain yogurt from scratch and use it in cooking, and for breakfasts, and smoothies etc.  It works out cheaper to make it this way plus you have the yogurt in quantity for less.  The type of yogurt you make depends upon the starter you use i.e. Greek Style, Live yogurt/low fat. It can be added to by serving it with tinned or fresh fruit, coulis or jam; used with breakfast oats, multivitamin boost of a morning, cakes, sauces etc.  Add some fresh mint and you have a Raita that goes very nicely with curries.  I like a curry but I am a wimp when it comes to the chilli spice; my system does not tolerate anything hot and has made me ill in the past and I have found that if I serve a curry with the Raita and a Naan bread that helps cool me down a bit and makes the curry more than palatable.  I love the flavours I just cannot cope with the heat.

Also on the agenda is another play with a sourdough starter.  If I can get this up and running (I keep trying and have been distracted in the past) and things have gone peek tong!

There are several other cooking and playing projects too and further posts will follow during the week. I can potentially see that I can save quite a lot of money by doing things myself just from having the ingredients to hand.

To start with I have a Textured Dip, for which I will post the recipe up tomorrow.  This is also delightful on a baked potato.

However first things first, need to set about the laundry and getting things dry.  Wish me well as I disappear into the ether.

Catch up later.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts