A little trip into town

It has been another lovely Sunny day here in Peterborough.  I ventured out today into town for the first time in over six weeks.  I am a little stiff as a result but the small walk will do me good.  OH took me and fetched me where I normally toddle in under my own steam. So gently does it.

Hardly anyone was wearing face masks, but I still chose too as OH and myself are categorised high risk as a result of long-term medical conditions and I am mindful of keeping myself as fit as possible. I still think that we are not quite out of the woods yet. My step-daughter and her children have had Covid very mildly from all accounts, but as we have been nowhere near and kept ourselves to ourselves, this has not thus far impacted on us.  Also, I am trying to keep myself as healthy as possible.  

I did do a little carrying of items back from town today, which I should not have done, but I had run out of certain items that I like to keep on my Pantry shelf, namely, Arrowroot powder which I use mostly in place of Cornflour which I buy in 1lb (500G) bags for about £1.99.  As sometimes when I go they have run out, I tend to buy in two bags so that I have a spare and then go shopping when I open the second bag.  If I cannot get it then I do use the Cornflour, but prefer the Arrowroot.  It is gentler on the stomach.

I also use a vegetable bouillon powder quite a bit as well; the Marigold brand which I also get from Holland & Barratt.  This time though I have bought the larger tub which was £6 but it actually has a lot more in i.e. 500g compared to the small tubs that have 150g in and which cost anything from £2 upwards.  I really need to make a batch of Pam Corbin's Souper Mix for the Pantry shelf as well as I also use this a lot in soups and gravies etc. and I have not long used up the last of that.

I have also been to Wilko as I needed to get some toiletries, and whilst there I bought a bag of King Edward seed potatoes, a net of onions and a packet of Helichrysum seeds.  I have some ideas for some projects later in the year using the Helichrysum if it grows!  Next time I go I also need to look for some Statice and Honesty seeds and Chinese Lanterns. I was also having a look at the Dahlia's Paeonies and other plants as well.  I did bring one thing back with me today from Wilkos that I had not budgeted for.  My old Mouse Mat had given up the ghost and I found one for £5;  Nothing special but at least now I am not getting frustrated with the Mouse.

We are having a roast chicken for tea this evening.   It is the first time I have cooked in over a week.  Out of curiosity, I weighed it and it was over 5lbs in weight.  This is a dearer chicken than is available from the supermarkets but the meat is so much more solid and I get quite a lot of meat off the bird which lasts substantially better than the supermarket model.  The chickens cost about £9.50 but there is a definite superior quality about these birds,  The meat is solid and not watery, so plenty of chicken to eat and do stuff with.  I have used a little butter, mixed herbs, some of my lemon oil which I am slightly in love with and onion to flavour the chicken and it looks very tasty.  We have Broccoli, Carrot and Swede mash, mashed potatoes, Mixed veg i.e. broccoli, sliced beans cauliflower and some Spinach.  I have been craving veggies the past few days so I did indulged and got these from M & S.

We also have a Rib of Beef for either Sunday or Monday which looks absolutely fabulous.  Will have to get some more veggies for that though.  We love our veggies.

I am also hopeful that if it keeps fine over the weekend to go walking with OH when he walks the dog.  There is an ulterior motive for this as I want to see what is available on the foraging front.  So carrier bag, scissors and Marigold gloves will go with me as initially I am after nettles.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. It's good to hear you are able to get out and about a bit more now. Definitely time to get started out in the garden. What will you use the nettles for? Soup, dried for tea?

    We rarely have a roast - it's a special treat in our house. The budget doesn't allow for it and I am very aware of how much it costs to do a full roast in the big oven now that electricity prices have doubled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi BB, have small oven x 2 which is ideal one gas one electric and also have the Ninja too. We have had to economise elsewhere but still go for decent meat. Would not eat it otherwise as not keen on offerings from the supermarkets. Lucky to have good butchers this way on. If main oven goes on I bake as well. hope you keeping well Tricia x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nettles are for tea, cordial, dried for green powder, nettle wine and pasta. x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts