Big Girl's Panties, Tracky bottoms and Comfort

I cannot believe it is now four days post-operation and I have gradually been getting that little bit better each day with the pain dissipating.  I honestly felt as though had been kicked by a horse or what I perceive as being kicked by a horse post operation.  It hurt, I was given morphine in ICU which worked like a dream.  Post op, I had been prescribed Codeine and also Paracetamol for pain control. I am going to be as frank as I can be without being offensive and relay what I did before the operation in terms of clothing just in case it helps someone else plan their gallbladder removal.  The pain relief if used consecutively is extremely efficient and works very well.  However, just do not take the Codeine on its own if it is prescribed, as this can with over use constipate you and your bowels need to come back as naturally as possible.

When getting ready for the operation last Friday, I very much took into account, comfort warmth and safety over everything else. I had been told that as part of the operation process, my abdomen/stomach area would be pumped up with gas, which would take a few days to naturally go after the operation. I therefore aimed to make myself as comfortable as possible.  With swelling there would be no way that I could wear my beloved jeans as with swelling they would just be too tight, and I ended up buying a couple of pairs of trackie bottoms one size larger than I actually am for comfort room.  Also on that theme as they were going to cut me under the belly button I thought that my usual bikini briefs might rub so yet again opted for big girl panties.  Sometimes a girl has got to do what she has got to do.  My street cred totally got shot down in flames at this particular time. I just wanted to be comfortable which ended up covering the four dressings nicely and without any rubbing. I just have itching at the moment as I am starting to heal a bit.  It seems to have worked and I have been cosy, warm and comfortable. Nurse was chuffed that I had been sensible - she said that many people who have to have gall bladder removal do not think about afterwards!  Oh and do not forget the stockings of shame!  Now the compression stockings are needed to stop any form of blood clot but they are so unsexy especially without a suspender belt!

My thoughts then turned to the fact that I feel the cold and laying down can make you feel colder than being on the move.  As my movements were also to be gentle I took the view that warmth and comfort were high on the list of priorities as well.  Especially as for the past four days I have been laid down a lot resting or just nodding off with the aftermath of the anaesthetic and morphine in my system but the Codeine can make you sleepy as well.  I have not been able to concentrate on anything but have done a lot of sleeping.  I have always been taught that when you sleep you heal in any event.  I had hoped to do a bit of my crafting, but not quite yet.

My abdomen area would also because it was keyhole surgery have small incisions sometimes three sometimes four small cuts.  I ended up with four, one just under my belly button, one just under my breast bone and then two more adjacent to the other on my right.  I replaced dressings and was able to bathe for the first time yesterday but could not rub the skin too dry and had to leave it to air to make sure it was dry before putting on the new dressings.  I do have a little bruising and I am very tender and the pain is subsiding and really is for me getting better day by day, despite the fact that it was a difficult extraction.

I am walking around regularly in the house. I am not doing housework or lifting things up etc.  OH is assisting in that respect as well as getting the majority of the meals.  My appetite at this particular time is diminished  It will probably be next week before I venture out of the house for a short walk.  Will take each day as it comes.  I just hope that some of the things I have done will make anybody who has to go through a similar process more comfortable and if it does then it has helped someone.

Otherwise in the greater scheme of things I am doing okay and have been looked after very well.  I had a telephone appointment with the Nurse yesterday and she was pleased with what I had been doing.  If I have any problems, I do have recourse to speak to a Nurse on the ward or indeed to go and see my GP.  So there is very much a good support system in place should it be required and especially in view of the Covid situation.

Hopefully once totally recovered, I may then be able to loose a little more weight.  Just got to take things gently for the next nine weeks.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. Hope you recover quickly : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pleased to read the operation went well and hope the pain gets better very soon. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it seems you had really planned things ahead and you were really doing yourself a big favor by doing that. Well done! I hope things will progress as they do now. Best wishes from Holland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you are doing well. Good job on the pre-op preparations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pleased to hear you are doing well. Excellent news, continue to take care of yourself.
    Best wishes.
    Pam in Texas.x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts