Yesterday and Today

Yesterday saw me back in the kitchen preparing stew with mashed potatoes for dinner.  I was cream crackered by the time I had finished, but the resulting meal was very warming and tasty.  OH seemed relieved that I had done the cooking!



I am intent on eating properly now this operation is out of the way.  I do not intend to over-eat for the sake of things just enjoy sensible food that is tasty, but that will work with my system rather against it.  I am drinking far more than I was before, very little carbonated drinks, more Mint tea/Ginger tea to settle my stomach but also soothe the digestive system.  I am also trying to have veggies and fruit on a daily basis and certainly more roughage.  I am when a bit more with it going to make up some breakfast cereals for myself, including Granola and also a homemade Muesli which I have been making since the children were at home.  I am aiming to mix the meals up so that I do not have cereal every day but other versions of roughage, such as dates, baked beans etc. Yogurt also plays an important part.  A lot of the swelling has gone down, but there is still more to go.  I also want to try and loose a bit more weight.  It will not do me any harm.

Whilst being "laid up", I have been researching some items that I am particularly interested in, and looking to incorporate new items into my preserving schedule for this year.  I am keen to get a lot of Pumpkin cubes canned up for use in the winter months, as well as other vegetables.  Will see what happens need to get more canning jars and lids before then.


Saturday

I have been out for a short while. My first trip out since last week. I must say that it was more than enough, and I would not have wanted much more walking around but then again even though we did not go far, it was enough. 

We went to get some fresh fish from the Fish Stall at Ramsey,  Came away, with Crayfish, Cockles, Whelks and some Mussels which we were going to have for tea tonight cooked with some Garlic and white wine.  However change of plan, as we still have a scuttle full of stew left over from last night's tea. and I am keen to get as much mileage out of the food we do have - waste is not an option.

Whilst out, we ended up buying a tray of eggs, some Cumberland sausages, some bacon, and a loin joint of Pork which we were supposed to have tomorrow, but now is planned for Monday night's tea.  So a complete revision to what was originally planned. I will probably have some of the Pork but not the sausages and bacon that's OH's bag

Also whilst out, I ended up getting some Purple Sprouting Broccoli, a Cauliflower, stocked up on Garlic as I had run out. I use a lot of garlic in cooking in any event.  I love Purple Sprouting Broccoli and it is very good for you.  It is something have eaten all my life as my Nan used to grow it in her garden

I also found some Tapioca.  This is for OH as I am not into "Frogspawn" and I shiver at the mere thought of it.  He says he likes it though, and as I do not see it very often it was a case of nabbing some whilst I could.  I also bought Pudding Rice, for Rice pudding, and some Flaked Almonds for baking. I also bought some Bouquet Garni.  I do not normally buy these as I make my own little "bundles" using muslin, and a mixture of different herbs. They are also known as "Broth Bombs".  There are different selections for different meats rather than just a general mix. They will be made up in the weeks to come when I have been able to dry my own herbs and can get cracking on re-stocking the Pantry generally.

We have also bought some fresh Bread Buns from the Bakery which are nice and crusty.  Right am off to get my stew it has gone really cold here.

Catch you soon

Pattypan

x



















Comments

Popular Posts