The Blackberry Season

I have finally processed the Blackberry and Apple jelly.  I have managed to add six jars of Bramble Jelly (or Bramble Delly according to my s daughter) to the Pantry shelf which I am very pleased with. Six precious jars of preserve.  It has set very nicely as well which I am pleased about and a good clear vibrant colour.  I do like making jellies.







When we walked the dog today, (and despite the fact that I had intended to leave it a couple of days) before I went and collected more blackberries, I took my trusty colander with me (Mum's old one) to see if I could locate any more ready Blackberries which I managed to do. I managed to pick another 1 1/2lbs of berries today.



I have some pulp left over from the jelly and I wish to make use of it.  The intention behind this is I have a couple of recipes that I wish to try out in readiness for the pantry shelf.  I want to try them out first, before giving details as I have never made this version of it before.  Have made similar items, but need to play with before talking about it.  If it is successful it will be a very handy item to add to the tea table, main meals, with cheese, pickled onions, chilli jam etc. especially with meat pies and cheese.





To take you out of your misery in trying to guess what the Dickens I am up to, I am having a go at making a Blackberry and Apple "Cheese" which basically is very similar to a Membrillo except it is usually served in little round dishes.  I have made Plum and apple before but that was a slightly thicker texture than today's effort.  It has taken me a lot of hard work this evening in getting as far as I have as you literally have to pop all the fruit and put it through a sieve.  I have a posh type of sieve called a Chinois and boy has it given me some arm muscles in trying to get the puree through.  Eventually I managed to do this and it is all prepped up for me to finish it off tomorrow. It has a lovely smooth texture.  Indeed it has given me some ideas for some other preserves. I shall pop the full recipe up that I have used as well in case any of you would like to have a go at making this.  There will also be details of how I "pot" them up and give them a seal.

After that I would like to make some Blackberry syrup for popping on cakes and puddings, but which can also be used as a drink.  That will be in a couple of days though when I can get hold of some more Blackberries.

Think might have to have another look around to see if can locate some Blackberries elsewhere as I have some other bits I want to pop up nature permitting. I am very grateful with what I have been able to locate so far, despite the pricks, itches and cuts.  Never mind, a quick dose of antiseptic should do the trick.

Unfortunately my "crafting" has had to take a back seat whilst doing preserving.  However, I am not disillusioned as all the preserving is alchemy in its own right, and indeed to my mind a craft in itself.  I do know how to keep myself busy!

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

Popular Posts