All things Apple Part One Dehydrated Apples





I am lucky in that I have access at the moment to eating apples on the bargain trolley at the veg shop at £1 a bowl. I bought six bowls the other day, and some of those are intended to go into apple sauce. Whether they will or not is anyone's guess but at the moment that is what is intended.

I have therefore sliced a few eating apples up and popped them into citric acid water to keep their colour. They have then been drained and popped into the Dehydrator.  These are initially for decorations I think as I have kept the skin on them for the colour. Now need to do some green ones the same so that you get a touch of colour on whatever items the slices go to decorate.  These initial trays are for Christmas decorating. I want those decorations to be as natural as possible.  I also intend dehydrating a scuttle full for the Pantry shelf as well as they can be used in cereals and in home baking.  I also have ideas for a pickle, and a liqueur style drink, but that will have to wait for another day as some experimentation is required beforehand.  Then we will see what happens.

The peels and odds and sods are not being wasted either. They have been dunked into citric water and also popped into the Dehydrator. I have plans to make them into an Apple tea.





During the drying period the flat slices go crinkly and slightly frilly which I think looks charming and they should look particularly pretty on Wreaths.




The first batch are now completely dry, with just the icky bits which I think are going to be used in an Apple tea once I have built up a little stock on this.  Do not want to start using something and then not have a little supply.

The peels go pretty and "frilly" during the drying process.  I have some decorating projects that I want to have a go at.  I still may eat some though.







I have tried them to eat, and they are lovely.  Very concentrated flavour.  These had been done for decorations, but some may get eaten.  This is just the first batch. I have decided the rest of the apples will get dried this way too.  I am quite enjoying the detour into dried goods for a change.  This is fitting in rather nicely though with me starting to make my own pantry staples though.  Another element of preserving and homemaking., which I intend to explore further.

A second batch of Apples will go in the dehydrator later on today.  I am sort of concentrating on items in batches at the moment, but no doubt there will be mixed batches as I find things reduced or for what I am able to resource. All these new skills, I am going to need a much larger pantry at the end of the day.  I am also enjoying making all these things, they are made with love, and I am also enjoying going to the shelf and picking something off the shelf and making something quickly when I need to.  The added beauty is that there are no nasty additives and I know where the food has come from as I buy the items fresh especially for preserving.

Do you like dehydrating items, and what items do you like to prepare for your Pantry shelf?

Love to hear from you.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts